Slightly starting to panic, disc errors

After a small problem with one of my disks, I followed the suggestions listed there.  I then started a Parity Check.  It is taking much longer than usual (usually takes anywhere from 1-11 days, it's been 4 days and it's at 5.7%, and has an estimated 55 days remaining.  It's reporting 853,000+ Sync errors detected.

Today I started Plex to watch a show, and it couldn't find any of the shows I chose.  Looking at the share in Windows, it only showed 2 TV show folders in that share.  Perusing the drives using Krusader, I can see the TV folder in several drives, and see many series in them.

However, when I look at the DISKS folder, disk1 is not showing as a folder, it is showing as an unknown file type with 0 bytes.

How should I proceed?

Krusader screenshot.png

• Jeff in Indy changed the title to Slightly starting to panic, disc errors

OK, I'll try that later today.  One more thing I noticed, in case it makes a difference..

It is showing as normal on the Main tab.  When I click on the folder icon on the right to see the files, it says:

No listing: Too many files

I'm worried that means a corrupted file system.

11 minutes ago, Jeff in Indy said:

OK, the same two drives have had their power cables swapped.  

Looks clean so far.

11 minutes ago, Jeff in Indy said:

Interesting thing: during the parity check, 3 drives are doing an awful lot of writing:  the 2 parity drives, and for some reason, disc 4 (now sdj).

Something is writing to disk4

53 minutes ago, Jeff in Indy said:

I find it interesting that the byte count is almost identical to the Parity drives, as if it's completely re-writing the disc.

That would be expected as every sector written to an array data can be expected to generate corresponding sector writes to each parity drive.

18 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That would be expected as every sector written to an array data can be expected to generate corresponding sector writes to each parity drive.

Duh.  Of course.  My brain is thinking there has been something wrong with the parity, and that it's creating a new parity.  Thanks for pointing out the obvious that I didn't see... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't had time to work on this for a while, but today Disc 2 became unmountable.

I shut down the server, and tried replacing the SATA data cables on both drives.

I started it up, went to Maintenance mode, and ran the Check Filesystem Status.

Disc 8's results are unremarkable, nothing to report.  Disc 2's results are nearly 6,600 lines long, errors everywhere.

How should I proceed?  I have 2 parity drives, so I could rebuild if I need to.  Drive 8 (my smallest drive, 4TB) is currently empty, but I haven't zeroed it out.  

kaokulk-diagnostics-20220519-1955.zip

12 minutes ago, Jeff in Indy said:

I have 2 parity drives, so I could rebuild if I need to. 

Parity is kept realtime, so what is showing on the disk is in parity, if parity is valid. File system errors are faithfully followed in parity, just like any other write.

You need to follow through with the filesystem check on disk2.

You can check if the data in the actual disks is in better shape, unassign both disabled disks, start array, stop array, now you can use UD to mount the old disks and check contents, note that if you want to mount them with the array started you'll need to change both XFS UUIDs in UD settings first.

It took a while to get it right, but I got Disc 2 in UD and it LOOKS like the data is OK, but I can't figure out how to check the disc or copy the files.

I can live with the 2.2TB in lost+found.  I just want to be able to get the discs to not be disabled.  Do I need to wipe the drives and rebuild?