New to Raid, Question about storage

Hey everyone,

New to raid and unraid.

My idea is to get about 20 TBs in my server to start, and I’m just wondering if I need to purchase 4x10TB drives or if I can do it with 2x10TB drives.

I would be expanding the drives later, but just wondering if I can save upfront costs with only going for two right now.

Example:

2 x 10TB WD Red Nas drive for a total of 20TB

Or

1x 10 TB 1 x 8TB for a total of 18TB.

Or do I need to buy 4 10TB for a total of 20 (2x 10 and 2 x 10 for a total of 20)

Not really worried about redundancy at this moment.

I also have 14 3.5 inch bays in my case.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DontPlexOnMe said:

Not really worried about redundancy at this moment.

If you don't need redundancy you can run Unraid without parity, in that case you can use the total capacity of the assigned data disks, and you can always add parity later.

If you don't need redundancy you can run Unraid without parity, in that case you can use the total capacity of the assigned data disks, and you can always add parity later.

Okay, is that something easy to do?

Just looking to start with as much storage to take off the cloud then add redundancy later to the mix.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
28 minutes ago, DontPlexOnMe said:

start with as much storage to take off the cloud then add redundancy later to the mix

Even if you have redundancy you must always have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable. Parity, whether Unraid or more traditional RAID, is not a substitute for backups.

Adding parity later is just a matter of assigning a disk to the parity slot and letting it build.