Accessing shares from Windows 98 PC

Hi!

I'm trying to access my Unraid shares from an old PC with Windows 98.  I'm able to see my server through "Network Neighborhood" and when I attempt to map a network drive to a share, Windows sees it.  Problem is, it keeps telling me I must supply a password to make the connection.  Any clue which password it's referring to?  I've not set up any passwords on the Windows 98 machine.

Can Unraid shares even be accessed by Windows 98?

Thanks in advance!

On 6/15/2022 at 12:31 AM, JorgeB said:

Possibly, but make sure SMB1 is enabled in Unraid, or it won't work for sure.

To verify that SMB1 is enabled, I have the following in SMB Settings:

Enable NetBIOS: YES

Enable WSD: YES

Is this correct?  Is there something else I should be doing to ensure SMB1 support is enabled?

13 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

This might need to be disabled for SMB1, but you can try first as is.

I tried it both ways, and I get the same result...

Whenever I attempt mapping a network drive or just browsing the Unraid server from Network Neighborhood, no matter what password I type, I get something saying there was an error trying to connect to the the drive to the share: "The device does not exist on the network".

I can vaguely remember way back around back in the early 2000-to-2005 time period that were some problems with earlier versions of Windows not being able to connect (via Network Neighborhood) with the latest version of Windows.  Remember this was peer-to-peer stuff at the time.  I seem to remember that the solution was not straight forward.  (We are talking about Microsoft and Windows here...) 

The solution in some situations (in some cases) could end up being--- to upgrade all of the computers to the newest version of Windows. 

You can try googling but be prepared for a long session as you will be looking at several generations of Windows--- 98, 2000, Vista, XP (as I recall).  All of the early versions had security holes in them that today your grandmother could easily exploit!  And MS attempted to plug as many of them as possible with each new generation of OS.  

I don't quite understand why you are trying to connect a WIN98 computer to your Unraid server but I would be very careful for security reasons.  It would be very easy to hack into your network via that computer...   If all you need are some files, try to find some media method (USB floppy disk drives that work on WIN10 are available for $20) and use sneaker net to transfer them.  I also believe that CD's were supported in that version.  (Writing them could be a issue.  I can remember making a lot of coasters...)