Failed upgrade to 6.10.3 and artifacts after upgrade.

Short story

On the server there are currently 2 USB devices attached. The Unraid stick and an SD-CARD reader with a card inside. Upgrade succeeded but device was no longer bootable. Upgrading with ONLY the usb stick present it worked fine.

Artifacts

After the upgrade I now have the following device listed and no way of removing it. My cache drive appears to be all in order and properly listed. Is this something I should worry about? How can I remove it?

image.thumb.png.c8bea6db5aab124e199a36d0ab0c129f.png

The Odyssey

New upgrade out. Checking the change log, I read about fixes with regard to data corruption so must have upgrade ASAP.

But first things first... fresh Flash Backup... (seriously, NEVER ever skip that step. IMO it should be part of the upgrade process - please guys seriously consider adding it in the upgrade work flow).

I click upgrade... downloads upgrade, installs it and asks to reboot.

Flawless... ok, reboot.

10 minutes later... unraid nowhere to be seen in the network... searching for that bloody HDMI or DP cable (how I miss having a KVM)... after a looong search, I found one I could use.

Latest messages on the terminal, boot device failed trying again click a button to reboot...

Ok, let's recover using the back-up (never ever ever upgrade without a backup).

Downloading the creator (mac)..., plugging in the Unraid stick... no USB stick listed. I click refresh, nothing. I must be doing something wrong... onward to the wiki. In the documentation it says USB stick size MAX 32GB (NOT TRUE). Really? I've been using the 128GB stick for years now... damn, might have something changed and it's now an issue?

Taking out another stick 32GB max size, formatting FAT32, loading the creator, refresh... nothing. No stick listed... OK, so USB creator broken on mac... onward to Win10... all steps repeated... NO STICK LISTED (you can only get away with such things because most users are experienced, but seriously, even the open source apps copy-files-and-make-stick-bootable can always find the usb stick).

Ok, so creator is broken (btw, was also broken years ago when I first purchased the unraid license).

I'm thinking, it's UEFI, just copy the bloody files over and run the make_bootable_mac should do it. So I copy the files, open terminal, run the make_bootable_mac... will not run, unknown developer and the such... oook, preferences, allow... again... another binary that it tries to run same issue... same process, again... and another binary, same issue same process... DONE! All messages look ok except for that cannot get current directory (multiple times).

❯ ./make_bootable_mac
INFO: make_bootable_mac v1.3

INFO: The following drive appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive:
/dev/disk2
 123.7GB

Permit UEFI boot mode [Y/N]: Y
To continue please enter your admin Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
INFO: Unmounting /dev/disk2
Forced unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful
INFO: Writing MBR on /dev/disk2
0+1 records in
0+1 records out
447 bytes transferred in 0.004785 secs (93417 bytes/sec)
INFO: Mounting /dev/disk2
Volume(s) mounted successfully
syslinux for Mac OS X; created by Geza Kovacs for UNetbootin unetbootin.sf.net
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
"/dev/disk2s1" unmounted successfully.
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
/dev/disk2s1        	DOS_FAT_32                     	/Volumes/UNRAID
mountpoint is '/Volumes/UNRAID'
checkpoint1
checkpoint2
checkpoint3
Processing: /Volumes/UNRAID/ldlinux.sys
checkpoint4
checkpoint5
checkpoint6
checkpoint7
Processing: /Volumes/UNRAID/ldlinux.c32
checkpoint8
checkpoint9
checkpoint10
"/dev/disk2s1" unmounted successfully.
checkpoint11
checkpoint12
checkpoint13
checkpoint14
checkpoint15
/dev/disk2s1        	DOS_FAT_32                     	/Volumes/UNRAID
syslinux installed successfully!

INFO: the Unraid OS USB Flash drive is now bootable and may be ejected.

Stick back to the NAS, booting... no luck, same errors 😰

Last try, stick to a windows machine, run the make_bootable.bat.... just a single line saying it's done.

Stick back to the NAS, booting... YAY.

But I REALLY want the upgrade... there are only 2 USB devices on the machine. Let's remove the SD-CARD reader... maybe something got it confused? 🤔

Upgrade... reboot... success! YAY!

btw, It feels embarrassing that windows make_bootable worked when the mac one was failing.

No idea where that ._cache pool comes from, there's only a cfg for cache in the pools folder, I would suggest backing up current flash drive, then create a clean flash drive and for  starters only restore the key, super.dat and pools folder from the backup, all in the config folder, then boot up and see if that weird pool is still there.