Parity Sync at ~2 MBps

So disk3 became unmountable, I failed at xfs_repair -L (got stuck at "phase 7 format log to cycle 4"), all data was lost (byebye plex library)

Now I'm trying to preclear it. the drive only says ST4000VN008 (lacking the -2DR166 in the model) and its at 10-15MBps.

How badly did I mess up and can this still be fixed?

58 minutes ago, X500658 said:

Oh damn, I'll transfer that drive and plan for a larger & better PSU.
for future reference, how many drives is recommended from a molex line?

11 Amps per pin is the rated maximum for the connector itself. How many drives is a more complex question, and depends on the rating of the PSU, the upstream connectors involved, wire gauge, etc.

You should try to divide your drives as evenly as possible between the available PSU leads.

1 hour ago, X500658 said:

I know, but I gave up on that data.

Still no good reason to preclear it, unless you intend to assign it to a NEW slot in an array that already has valid parity. That is the only scenario where Unraid requires a clear disk. A clear disk is all zeros and so parity remains valid when adding a clear disk to a new slot.

And if Unraid does require a clear disk (only that scenario), it will clear it if it isn't already clear.

8 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

11 Amps per pin is the rated maximum for the connector itself. How many drives is a more complex question, and depends on the rating of the PSU, the upstream connectors involved, wire gauge, etc.

You should try to divide your drives as evenly as possible between the available PSU leads.

Silverstone ST70F-ES230 700W, 80+ plain/bland
It has two molex lines with a 5-sata adapter (HDD, SSD, 3 HDDs) and 2-sata adapter (2 HDDs), one 2 sata line (2 HDDs) and one 2-sata line that became a failed 4-sata mod (cut too deep that it cant power drives)

Now knowing that the 5-sata adapted molex line can't handle it properly, I plan to turn it to (3 HDDs, 2 SSDs) and move disk3 to the other molex/2-sata line, whichever has the vacancy.

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Still no good reason to preclear it, unless you intend to assign it to a NEW slot in an array that already has valid parity. That is the only scenario where Unraid requires a clear disk. A clear disk is all zeros and so parity remains valid when adding a clear disk to a new slot.

And if Unraid does require a clear disk (only that scenario), it will clear it if it isn't already clear.

Lesson learned, especially now that I'm using 4TB drives that reach 10 hrs preclearing or parity syncing 😭