How do I troubleshoot a False "No space left on device" error message?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I have a docker container that runs rclone to pull down files from my gdrive and put them on my unraid server.

My array has 13.8 TB free and my 'unprotectedcache' for the share has 1.79 TB free:

image.thumb.png.fef4badd5706fd0aaf0d20a098dabb7a.png

I have a /mnt/user/video share mounted in the container as /cdata.

inside the container the df -h returns:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/sdt1          1.6T    230.6G      1.4T  14% /
tmpfs                    64.0M         0     64.0M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   125.9G         0    125.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm                      64.0M         0     64.0M   0% /dev/shm
shfs                     86.4T     73.8T     12.6T  85% /cdata
shfs                      1.6T    230.6G      1.4T  14% /config
shfs                      1.1P     60.7T      1.0P   6% /data
/dev/mapper/sdt1          1.6T    230.6G      1.4T  14% /etc/resolv.conf
/dev/mapper/sdt1          1.6T    230.6G      1.4T  14% /etc/hostname
/dev/mapper/sdt1          1.6T    230.6G      1.4T  14% /etc/hosts
tmpfs                   125.9G         0    125.9G   0% /proc/acpi
tmpfs                    64.0M         0     64.0M   0% /proc/kcore
tmpfs                    64.0M         0     64.0M   0% /proc/keys
tmpfs                    64.0M         0     64.0M   0% /proc/timer_list
tmpfs                   125.9G         0    125.9G   0% /sys/firmware
pdrive2:                  1.1P     60.7T      1.0P   6% /data

The rclone move command to pull down from my gdrive is returning this error with all files it's trying to transfer down(filename changed manually by me in this log clip):

2022/06/17 14:54:13 ERROR : FILE.mkv: Not deleting source as copy failed: multpart copy: write failed: write /cdata/video/FILE.mkv: no space left on device
2022/06/17 14:54:13 DEBUG : FILE.mkv: Failed to pre-allocate: no space left on device

Share is configured with minimum 160GB free:

image.png.7c2acb4a8256d2cf088c33c642110b4f.png

Actual disk utilizations:

image.thumb.png.906fed4cb16d642d97fc1eea50cb66e7.png

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@JorgeB Thanks for the response!

I bought another 8TB drive to add to the array. It's all added and fine for the array.

I started the copy process again. It put about 400GB on the new drive before coming back with the "no space left on device" error.

I decided to eliminate Docker from the equation to see if that made a difference and ran rclone natively pointed at my /mnt/user/video share.. The "no space left on device" error is still returned even thought I have 17TB available on my array.

Any thoughts on what to check next?

So I think I figured out how to solve the problem, even If I don't know what caused the problem..

It seems like somehow size 0 files were created on one of the near full disks. It may have been from powerloss a couple of weeks ago, or maybe then I first was trying the copy but didn't have min size limits at the time.. It "seems" like the system was locked into putting the files on that disk because of those size 0 files, but because of min size limits it would fail? That's my theory anyway.

Removing the size 0 files and starting the copy again seems to be working normally now.

• Like 1
  • Solution
1 minute ago, DizRD said:

It "seems" like the system was locked into putting the files on that disk because of those size 0 files, but because of min size limits it would fail? That's my theory anyway.

If the files copied to a share already exist Unraid will overwriting them on the same disk, so it was probably that.

3 minutes ago, DizRD said:

somehow size 0 files were created

This is a common symptom of mixing disks and user shares when moving or copying files. Did you do that?

linux doesn't know disks and user shares are just different views of the same files, so it will try to overwrite the file it is trying to read if you mix disks and user shares when moving or copying.

@trurl Thanks for the extra insight, I appreciate the context in case that's a problem in the future.

In my scenario it seems to be that the size 0 files were created when the disk got full before I had limits set on the shares. Removing the size 0 files from the disk and restarting the copy process to the share is working as expected.

Thanks!