Disk 1 disabled, log shows read and write errors

8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Doesn't look like a disk problem, suggest running and extended SMART test before replacing it.

What kind of problem does it look like?   14 hours left on new disk data rebuild.   Should I abort and put the old disk back in for an extended SMART test?   My impulse was that the array was vulnerable with a disabled disk exhibiting read/write errors so I wanted to get a functioning disk in there ASAP.  Old disk warranty expired in February.

33 minutes ago, oh-tomo said:

Disk 4 has error (UDMA CRC error count 1), the rest are healthy on dashboard.

That's OK. These are just logged by the drive when there is some inconsistency in the data it received. The data is resent.

Click on that warning and acknowledge it, it will warn again if it increases. If you get a lot of these you should try to figure out where the problem is, connection or such.

I paused the rebuild and ten minutes later got an alert that Disk 1 (the new disk) is in error state.  So maybe JorgeB is onto something.  Running an extended SMART test now.  How long do they take?   Will the test reveal an actionable solution to the cause of the errors?

33 minutes ago, oh-tomo said:

I paused the rebuild and ten minutes later got an alert that Disk 1 (the new disk) is in error state.  So maybe JorgeB is onto something.  Running an extended SMART test now.  How long do they take?   Will the test reveal an actionable solution to the cause of the errors?

Extended SMART test didn't finish -- "Interrupted (host reset)"  I'll try again.

Edited by oh-tomo