Slow docker download performance? - 6.10.#

Hi
I am kind of at a loss and don't know where else to look.
I am experiencing extremely slow downlaods of docker updates and nzb downloads. I am only getting between 1 and 5 MB/s, my ISP plan is 1000Mbps. Prevoisly I was getting 80-90MB/s.
I was on 6.10.3 as I only seem to have started experiencing the issue early this year, since March maybe. I have down graded to 6.10.2 but still the same speeds.
I use SABnzbd and have tried NZBGet with no difference. I also use two different news groups. I have tested SAB on my pc and the SAB test downloads run at full speed.
I don't use a VPN, other then unraid's implementation of wiregaurd which is to my phone, but i was troubleshooting with my ISP, with traceroutes and they repeatadle said I was using a VPN. Does wireguard route ALL traffic? I have tested with wiregaurd off and my download has still been the same.

Hopefully that makes sense and someone is able to assist.

Attached is the diagnostics from 6.10.3

tower-diagnostics-20220628-1425.zip

Edited by miccos
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have reconnected all my HDDs back to the onboard sata ports and so far my SAB downloads are back to normal, so utilizing the full bandwidth of my internet connection.

Looking at the syslogs the HBA card shows up correctly as far as I understand.

mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(20.00.07.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.39.02.00) Aug 17 11:42:23 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Protocol=(Initiator,Target), mpt2sas_cm0: Capabilities=(TLR,EEDP,Snapshot Buffer,Diag Trace Buffer,Task Set Full,NCQ)

attached is the latest diagnostics zip with setup no using HBA.

Anyone able to provided some advice? Was i meant to change a setting before installing?

tower-diagnostics-20220817-1146.zip

That's a little strange, were you downloading directly to the array or was cache also using the HBA? Were normal array writes still OK, just the apps downloads were slow?

P.S.

Aug 17 11:42:50 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning:  read_super_block: reiserfs filesystem is deprecated and scheduled to be removed from the kernel in 2025

You need to convert all reiser disks to xfs, also note that reiser is known to under perform with full disks, but it should be the same with either controller.

Yeah downloading direct to cache, ran common problems to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

Array writes seemed to be normal. Only really noticed the slower docker update downloads and Sab was clearly slower.

Is there any tests I can run on the disk layer that could build more of a picture?

How do I convert to xfs and do I loose data if/when I convert?

thanks

9 minutes ago, miccos said:

Yeah downloading direct to cache

Since cache is NVMe don't see how having the array on the HBA would interfere with downloads to the cache device, are you sure this is reproducible, i.e., if you change the disks to the HBA again you start having the issue again.

11 minutes ago, miccos said:

How do I convert to xfs and do I loose data if/when I convert?

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/File_System_Conversion

• 4 months later...

update:
Still no fix, I have reformatted all drives to XFS and have moved my cache drive over to a SATA SSD.
My downloads still cap at 1-1.5 MB/s when all drives are connected through the HBA card.

I still get normal performace when all array drives are through the on board SATA ports and the SATA SSD (cache) is via the HBA card.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Edited by miccos
  • 2 months later...

Update, for anyone who is curious.
I swapped from the nvme cache to a sata ssd and still no change. 
I have found tough, that when I have 6/8 SAS to sata connectors plugged into my drives I get the poor sabnzdb (docker) download performance (1.5MB/s). But when I have 4/8 sas to sata connectors (I think that is what these are called, I am not quite sure) my sabnzdb download performance is back where I would kind of expect it (50-60MB/s, I have a 1Gb connection so perfect world and originally this was around 90MB/s).

I will get around to moving back to the nvme drive, hopefully keeping the status quo and after that I will try test to see if it is a falt with one of my SAS to sata connectors or it could be a fault with one of the two SAS plugs on the HBA board I guess too?

• 4 weeks later...