[Support] Kilrah/Cloudflare-DDNS-config

Just thought I would add some context here for those looking at this thread.  I came here to see example configs and the above examples seem to imply that the Zone ID is the url IE: `google.com` when in fact it is not, which is probably the reason @mjeshurun was getting the error they were getting.  The Zone ID is simply the ID cloudflare uses to identify a domain.

This will direct you to where you need to go to get the Zone ID if you do not already know where to find it.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/fundamentals/get-started/basic-tasks/find-account-and-zone-ids/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, semaj4712 said:

Just thought I would add some context here for those looking at this thread.  I came here to see example configs and the above examples seem to imply that the Zone ID is the url IE: `google.com` when in fact it is not, which is probably the reason @mjeshurun was getting the error they were getting.  The Zone ID is simply the ID cloudflare uses to identify a domain.

This will direct you to where you need to go to get the Zone ID if you do not already know where to find it.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/fundamentals/get-started/basic-tasks/find-account-and-zone-ids/

Thank you very much, @semaj4712! You were correct. 🙏🙏

As I'm trying to switch from a different cloudflare ip updater, I mistakenly assumed the zone_id meant the domains URL.

Your tip helped me find the actual zone_id's.

However, I'm now seeing these error messages for the sub1 "www" of both domains I'm trying to set up in the config.json file.

Adding new record {'type': 'A', 'name': 'www.***********.com', 'content': '**.***.***.***', 'proxied': True, 'ttl': 300}
😡 Error sending 'POST' request to 'https://api.cloudflare.com/client/v4/zones/*****************************/dns_records':
{"result":null,"success":false,"errors":[{"code":81054,"message":"A CNAME record with that host already exists. For more details, refer to \u003chttps://developers.cloudflare.com/dns/manage-dns-records/troubleshooting/records-with-same-name/\u003e."}],"messages":[]}

Any ideas how to solve this?

I've always had some of those as well, doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Seems the cloudflare API sometimes times out while the container tries to get the existing records so it then tries to add some that are already there.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I've always had some of those as well, doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Seems the cloudflare API sometimes times out while the container tries to get the existing records so it then tries to add some that are already there.

I'm not entirely sure the cloudflare API is the problem.

If I run oznu/cloudflare-ddns app I don't get any error messages regarding the "www" subdomain. And onzu's app also depends on the cloudflare API.

I always see either timeouts, HTML from an error page, handshake failures, internal server errors, retries exceeded etc on the lines before when it happens.

image.thumb.png.6b96723561693629ae882a448c9e6f63.png

It's not that frequent (hasn't been one since last container start a day ago) but happens somewhat regularly.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I followed the guide on github but I get the "Bad Parameter" Error when trying to start the container. Anyone having the same problem somehow?
I should have set it up correctly.
My steps were: 

1. install the container
  2. run the commands from the info page
  3. adjust the json according to my data

I first thought because I had a wildcard subdomain so I removed it. No luck unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 2:24 AM, Kilrah said:

I'm another troubled user.  I'm not sure if there's a syntax error in the description or it's just me.  But copying those two lines into terminal gives an error:

mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/cloudflare-ddns-config
wget -qO /mnt/user/appdata/cloudflare-ddns-config/config.json https://github.com/timothymiller/cloudflare-ddns/raw/master/config-example.json
/mnt/user/appdata/cloudflare-ddns-config/config.json: Is a directory

I'm assuming that the config-example.json file sits inside like: /mnt/user/appdata/cloudflare-ddns-config/config.json/config.json  Or is the config.json directory supposed to be a file within the same named directory?  I've tried both ways and keep getting an error " Error reading config.json"  in the docker log.  

My config.json file looks like this (linter checked):

{
  "cloudflare": [
    {
      "authentication": {
        "api_token": "redacted"
      },
      "zone_id": "redacted, yes the long-ass zone file descriptor",
      "subdomains": [
        {
          "name": "test1",
          "proxied": false
        },
        {
          "name": "test2",
          "proxied": false
        }
      ]
    }
  ],
  "a": true,
  "aaaa": true,
  "purgeUnknownRecords": false,
  "ttl": 300
}

Thanks for this. I finally got it setup after some trouble. Maybe updating the wording on the instructions? The example shows api keys and tokens. The config wants the api key in the api token position. This confused me for a while. I was putting in the name of the token and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

After pounding my head on the wall of a while I figured that out. Thanks again, now I don't need to run multiple instances of the other one. 🙂

5 hours ago, yoleska said:

Or is the config.json directory supposed to be a file within the same named directory?

There should not be a directory, the file is  /mnt/user/appdata/cloudflare-ddns-config/config.json. But if you started the container once without first putting the file in place there Docker will have made a directory. Stop, remove the directory, put the file there, start.

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

No idea what you're talking about...

I'm not the author of either the container, samples or documentation.

Are you the author for this thread tho?

You have uncomplete instructions in your first post which makes it harder for ppl to get it startet.

Edited by NewDisplayName
2 hours ago, yoleska said:

When the container is installed, it adds a trailing forward-slash to the config path in the container settings:

That would be something you did, the template sets this by default as per container docs:

image.png.92376f80f3b3dd479cddf4bfaf7fc337.png

Edited by Kilrah