We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

parity disk disabled, looking to do a parity swap

good morning,

when building this unraid server, i created double disk parity, however the MB died and after doing a MB swap i found out that my hardrives were not compatible with my lsi cards. i was planning to do a MB swap back to the original model however now i'm just considering new hardrives, adding new larger drives and starting again from there.

my concern now is since my party drive has been disabled for such a long period of time that i will not be able to do a party swap. is it still possible with out data loss and what would be the step or how would the step differ from the FAQ for parity swap?

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Parity swap is only needed when you have a disabled data disk and the new replacement disk is larger than current parity

Didn't we used to call it something else like 'swap disabled'? Nobody knew what that meant but at least they didn't incorrectly think they knew like with 'parity swap'.

29 minutes ago, trurl said:

Didn't we used to call it something else like 'swap disabled'? Nobody knew what that meant but at least they didn't incorrectly think they knew like with 'parity swap'.

Don’t remember that term.    I would think the appropriate term is something like Parity Drive Upgrade.

50 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Parity Drive Upgrade

That to me just implies rebuilding parity to a larger disk, so if it is intended to mean the same thing parity swap does now then it is even worse than parity swap as far as giving people the idea that they already know what it means.

9 hours ago, trurl said:

That to me just implies rebuilding parity to a larger disk, so if it is intended to mean the same thing parity swap does now then it is even worse than parity swap as far as giving people the idea that they already know what it means.

I was thinking of a standard name for the case of simply changing a parity drive to a larger one (which was wanted here) when there is no data drive involved.    It would be nice to also think of a better name to ‘Parity Swap’ for the current process to make it clearer when it is used but I could not think of one.