We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Is it okay to have multiple Shares share the same Cache Pool?

Would there be any unforeseen issues with this?

The cache pool mode would be set to: 

Yes indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the Cache disk/pool and onto the array.

Edited by taflix
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

This works fine.

Thanks!  This is great because now I can create 1 large cache pool and have my Shares share it.  I don't have to worry about any one Share running out of cache storage.

I don't see why this isn't more commonly used?

1 hour ago, taflix said:

I don't see why this isn't more commonly used?

That is actually the default setup...

Some people with a lot of "download activity" like to separate things so as not to use the same storage for important data and unimportant in-progress downloads with the risk of the latter clogging the cache and causing issues for the former.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, trurl said:

some shares cache:only or cache:prefer

This is what you should have for appdata, domains, system, so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

I put these shares on my pool named "fast", a single 256G nvme as XFS with backups to the array. My "cache" pool is 2x500G SSD as btrfs raid1 for caching. Both pools get involved with downloads and postprocessing.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, trurl said:

This is what you should have for appdata, domains, system, so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

I put these shares on my pool named "fast", a single 256G nvme as XFS with backups to the array. My "cache" pool is 2x500G SSD as btrfs raid1 for caching. Both pools get involved with downloads and postprocessing.

Seriously, life changing for me.

Thank you for sharing!