We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Cache Pool keeps filling up

A couple days ago I found my server to be unresponsive i.e. my dockers weren't running. I was still able to log into it and I found my cache pool to be full along with a whole host of errors. I was able to "fix" the issue after finding my appdata folder to be nearly 1TB. I changed the share to use cache = yes (was only). I started the mover then restarted the server and all was well. I removed the most recent dockers thinking one of them was the culprit. I came home from work to find my cache pool at ~850GB used (of 1TB). I have the mover set to hourly but I don't understand how it's still filling up?

Is there a way to monitor what is writing to the array or cache pool? 

tower-diagnostics-20220822-2133.zip

Install ncdu from the Nerd Pack, then in unraid terminal go to /mnt/cache and type ncdu there. You should get a "graphical" view of what's using space, then you can drill down folders to get more details.

32 minutes ago, Pstark said:

I changed the share to use cache = yes

This will move ALL your appdata off the cache, you'd rather want "Prefer" so only overflows go to the array.

Also make sure to set a "min free space" on the Cache drive of at least 10GB or so.

Edited by Kilrah

I notice that you have a share anonymized as D-----x  that has files on the cache but is set to Use Cache=No.  Mover ignores any share set to No if it has files on the cache.  Not sure if this is the culprit but worth checking out.

BTW:  It is rarely worth running mover as frequently as hourly - it is really designed for idle time.  Mover can never move files from cache to array as fast as you can write to the cache so if you are downloading a lot you should consider whether the cache should be used at all the downloads.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:53 AM, itimpi said:

I notice that you have a share anonymized as D-----x  that has files on the cache but is set to Use Cache=No.  Mover ignores any share set to No if it has files on the cache.  Not sure if this is the culprit but worth checking out.

Not sure how to go about this. 

1 hour ago, Pstark said:

Not sure how to go about this. 

• Click on the shares on the Shares page and change the Use Cache setting for the those shares you want to stay on the cache to Prefer
  • Disable the VM and Docker Services to make sure they are not keeping files open
  • Click on the Mover button the Main tab to run mover
  • When mover completes you can re-enable the Docker and/or VM Services if you want to use these.

After that I would suggest reposting diagnostics so we can check that nothing further is needed.