License - What would YOU do ?

bonamin

Hello. I hope you guys are doing great !

General Info:

I'm in a middle of a dilemma and I'd like your input on the subject. 

I've been a user of Unraid for a couple of years now. I've upgraded to better hardware, to more drives, to more apps that run on my server etc. 
Now, it's time to build my second machine. 

Some Specifics: 

-> I already have a server running, with 6 drives. It's running a lot of dockers, and some very specific VMs (like Home Assistant). My CURRENT server, is on a "Basic" License. But I will need to add more drives soon, so I will need to upgrade. I will most likely go straight to Pro.

-> My newly built server (which I'm currently testing) is on a Trial License for the past 20 days or so, just so I can figure out if it works or not. It's a dedicated Dual VM gaming machine for me and my wife. This will NOT run dockers, will NOT be used as a NAS, and most likely will not have any HDDs either. Just the superfast NVMes I'm utilizing on the VMs.

Apparently, it looks like the Dual VM Gaming setup works pretty well. Awesome I would say. So I'm going to buy the license and proceed with making this permanent. 

Now the Dilemma: 
Should I just upgrade my old "Basic" to "Pro" and buy a second "Basic" for the new build?  
Or should I buy just a PRO and swap the two servers around? 

(what I mean is:) I could start the PRO from scratch, re-add everything (dockers/vms/settings etc) and use my Basic license on my Gaming build, since I won't require more drives there. 

Or is that too much hassle?  

Or maybe forbidden by the rules? 
Would I break something in the process?

I really don't know how to proceed, as the Pro License costs LESS, than buying a Basic AND upgrading a Basic to Pro. 

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Everything about your configuration is in the config folder on flash, including the license. You can put config on a new install with whichever license is appropriate for the flash drive.

So, what you mean is (in steps): 

1. I buy a completely new PRO License. 
  2. I copy the "config" from my old "Basic" flash, to my new "Pro" Flash. 
  3. Without changing ANY drives, I use my NEW PRO Flash, on my server, and it will boot up as normal. 
  4. Then I can use my old "Basic" flash, on my Gaming Server, do a "Reset" on settings and start fresh. 

Does this sound right ? 

And I suppose it's not against the rules, right ? 

1 hour ago, bonamin said:

And I suppose it's not against the rules, right ?

Limetech does not care what license is running on what server ; and has no way of verifying that.

The license is only attached to the GUID of the flashdrive. Not any other hardware.

As long as each server as it's license, you are fine.

4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Almost, make sure you put the key file from the config folder into the correct drive. So you will be copying the config folder complete except for the key file.

Oh yeah. Sounds reasonable. 
I knew that the license is bound to my drive. It makes sense for the key to be in the Config. ;)

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it.