Intel Arc support

Go to solution Solved by TheIlluminate,

This time I got an error report when trying to install the driver.

|ERROR|Something went wrong while converting string to pci identifier
|ERROR|Something went wrong while loading "DisplayDevice"
|ERROR|Something went wrong while loading device
|ERROR|Something went wrong while creating device. Guid = "4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318"

My CPU is an intel i7700k so maybe a little old? Looks like I need a 10th gen or newer. I thought having resizable bar was optional.

Edited by AndyLively
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 2:12 PM, ram8704 said:

Ok only a slight difference I will try to rebuild to match. 

Managed to get it working for me. I needed to make sure a couple settings were set in Bios no changes from what SimonF put in his screenshot.

- I set my bios to UFEI boot only

- Enabled resizable bar (not sure if needed)

- MSI bios had an option to detect VGA devices it was set to auto. Turned it off.

- IGPu set to default display

- Rebooted

I will likely test some encoding. So far its been good. CPU AV1 was giving me 2hr estimates on a 30 minute file. Now I see 6-10 minutes with Intel profile.

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this can help us but thor2002 has some unraid kernels ready on variouse 6.x.x linux kernels, My problem is that my servers RTL8125 (Realtek 2.5GBe nic) stops working, I also will receive my A380 tomorrow and was looking in to the arc support. Hope some have succes with the 6.x.x kernels from thor. I will also start testing again tomorrow with a different machine that has the RTL8125 and an intel nic for backup (not the machine that will get the A380)

https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases

I also used thor's kernels when Alder lake iGPU was still not officialy supported and that worked great! but now My nic is not supported with his kernels so I hope others with other nics have more luck.

Edit 26-01:
I tested some more with another Intel based dual gb nic card and the custom kernels from thor also don't work with that, I will check on a different machine with a clean unraid stick to see what whil happen

Edit 27-01:
I finally got the kernel to work, See print screen below, Also The DG2 card shows up in terminal: ls /dev/dri. Now let's see how far we can get this to work. I also dit de syslinux edit for i915 to force probe the dg2 card.

Unraid kernel.png

terminbal.png

The main problem was my netowrk.cfg file, for some reason the official unraid 6.11.5 worked normal but replaceing the files from thor2002's kernels broke everything. I took a plain version of the network.cfg file from the manual install zip and changed all neccessary netowrk info accordingly and now I have hopefully a working kernel with the A380 GPU

EDIT 28-01

I got everything to work, The ARC A380 is converting H264 to h265 files at this moment. After the changes of yesterday I didn't change to much I'm checking my notes and will make a good Short tutorial for those wanting to get on some support in docker

image.png

Edited by DeadDevil6210
  • Like 3
On 1/25/2023 at 4:04 PM, DeadDevil6210 said:

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this can help us but thor2002 has some unraid kernels ready on variouse 6.x.x linux kernels, My problem is that my servers RTL8125 (Realtek 2.5GBe nic) stops working, I also will receive my A380 tomorrow and was looking in to the arc support. Hope some have succes with the 6.x.x kernels from thor. I will also start testing again tomorrow with a different machine that has the RTL8125 and an intel nic for backup (not the machine that will get the A380)

https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases

I also used thor's kernels when Alder lake iGPU was still not officialy supported and that worked great! but now My nic is not supported with his kernels so I hope others with other nics have more luck.

Edit 26-01:
I tested some more with another Intel based dual gb nic card and the custom kernels from thor also don't work with that, I will check on a different machine with a clean unraid stick to see what whil happen

Edit 27-01:
I finally got the kernel to work, See print screen below, Also The DG2 card shows up in terminal: ls /dev/dri. Now let's see how far we can get this to work. I also dit de syslinux edit for i915 to force probe the dg2 card.

Unraid kernel.png

terminbal.png

The main problem was my netowrk.cfg file, for some reason the official unraid 6.11.5 worked normal but replaceing the files from thor2002's kernels broke everything. I took a plain version of the network.cfg file from the manual install zip and changed all neccessary netowrk info accordingly and now I have hopefully a working kernel with the A380 GPU

EDIT 28-01

I got everything to work, The ARC A380 is converting H264 to h265 files at this moment. After the changes of yesterday I didn't change to much I'm checking my notes and will make a good Short tutorial for those wanting to get on some support in docker

image.png

Looking forward to the tutorial!  Also curious, what application is the image showing here?  I'm looking at options for transcoding with the A380 on the software side and whatever it is you're running looks pretty nice!

1 hour ago, JaredC01 said:

Looking forward to the tutorial!  Also curious, what application is the image showing here?  I'm looking at options for transcoding with the A380 on the software side and whatever it is you're running looks pretty nice!

The software used is Tdarr, it's one of the only if not the only docker that supports the ARC gpu, Unmanic, and Plex are not working at this moment and I think that is because the intel-media-va-driver-non-free is missing from those dockers.

• Like 1

So i wrote down a little tutorial it's in the attachments, For those needing gvt-g I have not tested the need of this but the arc gpu doesn;t work with intel gvt-g installed thnx to the blacklist.i915 line in modeprobe.d/i915.conf My platform also is not supported so i didn't test this part maybe someone can do it and help at that end.

And if you follow my tutorial and come across problems feel free to ask for help by dm or on the forum, If you want a deeper dive on my problems with getting this to work feel free to ask. I did not mention a lot of them only the one that kept me busy for two days.

And last I'm still testing to the arc gpu is only working in tdarr at this point. And only HEVC no AV1 tested yet, In the coming days I will start testing other dockers and find differences to get good support. 

And a question to you guys, What driver does the arc gpu need? If i apt-list --installed on the tdarr container I see theese installed:

mesa-va-drivers
intel-media-va-driver-non-free/focal,now 22.2.2+i699.3~u20.04 (i thought this is the one arc needs)

Cutom Kernel tutorial.docx

• Like 2
On 1/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, DeadDevil6210 said:

So i wrote down a little tutorial it's in the attachments, For those needing gvt-g I have not tested the need of this but the arc gpu doesn;t work with intel gvt-g installed thnx to the blacklist.i915 line in modeprobe.d/i915.conf My platform also is not supported so i didn't test this part maybe someone can do it and help at that end.

And if you follow my tutorial and come across problems feel free to ask for help by dm or on the forum, If you want a deeper dive on my problems with getting this to work feel free to ask. I did not mention a lot of them only the one that kept me busy for two days.

And last I'm still testing to the arc gpu is only working in tdarr at this point. And only HEVC no AV1 tested yet, In the coming days I will start testing other dockers and find differences to get good support. 

And a question to you guys, What driver does the arc gpu need? If i apt-list --installed on the tdarr container I see theese installed:

mesa-va-drivers
intel-media-va-driver-non-free/focal,now 22.2.2+i699.3~u20.04 (i thought this is the one arc needs)

Cutom Kernel tutorial.docx 205.73 kB · 16 downloads

this is awesome, thank you!

On 1/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, DeadDevil6210 said:

mesa-va-drivers

Cutom Kernel tutorial.docx 205.73 kB · 22 downloads

https://github.com/BrianCArnold/docker-jellyfin-intel/blob/main/Dockerfile

seems like a lot.

Excited for this. Have you done any testing with tdarr on how fast quicksync is with it for hevc?  I'll be installing three additional HDD and my arc card on monday.  I'm not tech enough to try what you're trying but at least it will be in there for when the update comes out.  I really would like for plex to update their ffmpeg library to use it.  Ultimately I want to be able to transcode faster to download to ipads, etc. 

22 hours ago, FlyingTexan said:

Excited for this. Have you done any testing with tdarr on how fast quicksync is with it for hevc?  I'll be installing three additional HDD and my arc card on monday.  I'm not tech enough to try what you're trying but at least it will be in there for when the update comes out.  I really would like for plex to update their ffmpeg library to use it.  Ultimately I want to be able to transcode faster to download to ipads, etc. 

the arc gpu as far as I get it can do 6 transcodes h264 to h265 with out a problem, 6 movies of a lengt of 3 hours are transcoded within 30 minutes, My UHD770 can do 3 and then the time on transcoding increases compared to 2 streams but I find the 10+ mins on that one not so bad.

Jellyfin 10.8.9 docker already supports using Quick Sync and VA-API on Intel Arc / DG2.

On Windows you only need to install the latest driver from Intel.

On Linux you need at least Linux 6.2 kernel. With this version you don't need to hack the Jellyfin build script.

If you compile the kernel with an old config file make sure these new MEI configs are set:

CONFIG_INTEL_MEI=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_ME=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_TXE=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_GSC=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_HDCP=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_PXP=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_WDT=m

Then check these to make sure that the GuC/HuC firmware is loaded without any FAIL or ERROR.

# dmesg | grep i915
# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gt/uc/guc_info
# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gt/uc/huc_info

See also:

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-ffmpeg/releases

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=279799

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/7732

Edited by nyanmisaka
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, nyanmisaka said:

Jellyfin 10.8.9 docker already supports using Quick Sync and VA-API on Intel Arc / DG2.

On Windows you only need to install the latest driver from Intel.

On Linux you need at least Linux 6.2 kernel. With this version you don't need to hack the Jellyfin build script.

If you compile the kernel with an old config file make sure these new MEI configs are set:

CONFIG_INTEL_MEI=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_ME=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_TXE=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_GSC=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_HDCP=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_PXP=m
CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_WDT=m

Then check these to make sure that the GuC/HuC firmware is loaded without any FAIL or ERROR.

# dmesg | grep i915
# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gt/uc/guc_info
# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gt/uc/huc_info

See also:

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-ffmpeg/releases

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=279799

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/7732

XS1zkp5.jpeg

it seems that the kernel provided by thor2002ro has the huc firmware missing :/

Is there any place where one could acquire such a kernel for unraid without having to build it themselves?

Edited by jsrk
On 1/29/2023 at 3:23 AM, DeadDevil6210 said:

mesa-va-drivers

Cutom Kernel tutorial.docx 205.73 kB · 28 downloads

So possible dumb question but if we do this kernel update will it affect us at all when we move to unraid 6.12 or does this all just get overwritten? 

I've got 2 A380s I've been playing with and I would love to try it out on Tdarr and tweak things out on that.  Speaking of which have you seen anyone able to get AV1 going on Tdarr yet?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheIlluminate said:

So possible dumb question but if we do this kernel update will it affect us at all when we move to unraid 6.12 or does this all just get overwritten? 

I've got 2 A380s I've been playing with and I would love to try it out on Tdarr and tweak things out on that.  Speaking of which have you seen anyone able to get AV1 going on Tdarr yet?

Why two? Video work or massive transcoding? 

4 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

Why two? Video work or massive transcoding? 

Massive transcoding.  Gotta go through 20TB and climbing of videos.  Especially going to AV1 which even with GPUs is going to be fun.  Once the Movies are done i've got 35TB more of TV shows and anime I'll likely go through.  AV1 support is coming for direct stream here in the next year or two so i'm settling on that and downloading everything I can in BluRay Remux 1080p.