Intel Arc support

Go to solution Solved by TheIlluminate,

Article about power consumption:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/high-idle-power-use-on-intel-arc-gpus-requires-fiddling-with-bios-settings/

Users will need to go into their PC's BIOS and configure a pair of advanced PCI Express power management settings—the "Native ASPM" (or active-state power management) setting should be enabled, and the "PCI Express root port ASPM" setting should be enabled and set to "L1 Substates." You'll also need to set the PCI Express Link State Power Management setting to "maximum power savings" in Windows' advanced power options settings.

Testing from Tom's Hardware shows that with the settings enabled, Arc A750 power consumption at idle dropped from 37.3 W to 15.5 W, a significant drop. The same settings didn't seem to have an effect on an Arc A770 card, though it's unclear whether this is a motherboard bug, a GPU hardware or firmware or driver problem, or something else.

Intel may be able to address the issue in the long-term with driver or firmware updates for the Arc A-series GPUs, but the troubleshooting article doesn't make it sound very likely. Intel says that the company "will be looking at making optimizations in future generations," which makes it sound like we'll need new hardware to address the issue decisively.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, ich777 said:

With Kernel 6.0.0 you have to unload the Kernel module first and then force the correct probe:

modprobe -rf i915
modprobe i915 force_probe=56a5

Or you simply create the i915.conf file in the modprobe.d directory:

mkdir -p /boot/config/modprobe.d
echo "options i915 force_probe=56a5" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

From our testing with Jellyfin it won't work currently with Kernel 6.0.0 but I will compile a custom build with Kernel 6.0.1 shortly and we will try again.

@ich777 I have an arc a380 and would like to test it with emby. Could I get the details on your custom build with 6.0.1?

Installed my ARC today but no luck so far getting running in a VM. Error 43 at present. Will look into tomorrow.

Anyone running a card in VM?

root@computenode:~# lspci -vs 03:00.0
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A770] (rev 08) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1020
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 213, IOMMU group 19
        Memory at 50000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at 6000000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Expansion ROM at 51000000 [disabled] [size=2M]
        Capabilities: [40] Vendor Specific Information: Len=0c <?>
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [ac] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [100] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
        Capabilities: [420] Physical Resizable BAR
        Capabilities: [400] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

root@computenode:~# 

image.thumb.png.5613339d1707cae00a527bdd3dccbf31.png

Edited by SimonF
On 10/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, SimonF said:

Installed my ARC today but no luck so far getting running in a VM. Error 43 at present. Will look into tomorrow.

Anyone running a card in VM?

root@computenode:~# lspci -vs 03:00.0
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A770] (rev 08) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1020
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 213, IOMMU group 19
        Memory at 50000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at 6000000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Expansion ROM at 51000000 [disabled] [size=2M]
        Capabilities: [40] Vendor Specific Information: Len=0c <?>
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [ac] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [100] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
        Capabilities: [420] Physical Resizable BAR
        Capabilities: [400] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

root@computenode:~# 

image.thumb.png.5613339d1707cae00a527bdd3dccbf31.png

I'm in the same boat; I also noticed that the Arc Cards audio looks to show up as an additional device in VIFO on my machine rather than the same slot with an additional function. Also my NVIDIA card likes to drop out too; time to do some investigating

We have to wait a bit longer since I see many issues on Linux with DG1 & DG2 graphics with the latest Intel Media driver:

Click

Click

Click

...and many other unanswered questions.

I think it will take a bit longer until you can get them to work reliable on Linux with the complete feature set (as this is always the case with bleeding edge hardware and especially true for Intel).

• Thanks 1

I was able to successfully passthrough an ARC A380 into a Windows 10 VM and everything seems to be working as properly as can be with the current drivers.

Then I went to reboot the VM and my entire server locked up. I had to hard reboot the server and when it came back up, the server can't even see the GPU anymore. Multiple reboots nothing. So I've pulled it from my server and put my 1070 back in.

Running an X570 Mobo with a Ryzen 9 3900X.

Now have my ARC A770 working as a pasthru device on windows 11. I believe my issue is the GPU connecting via a HDMI switch, now direct seems to be working fine.

One issue I still have is with the Audio part.

image.thumb.png.5a6a719f4fcf95082489ebd9b5c73d51.png

if I passthru 04:00.0 it works in the VM, but host crashes with no logs when VM is stopped.