[6.11.0] disk1 has read errors - What do I do?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

More important than the 'read errors', disk1 is disabled, which you didn't mention. Emulated disk1 is mounted so that is good.

There is 1 CRC error in SMART, you can click on the SMART warning on the Dashboard page to acknowledge it and it will warn again if it increases.

You have to rebuild the disabled disk.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

More important than the 'read errors', disk1 is disabled, which you didn't mention. Emulated disk1 is mounted so that is good.

There is 1 CRC error in SMART, you can click on the SMART warning on the Dashboard page to acknowledge it and it will warn again if it increases.

You have to rebuild the disabled disk.

Thanks.  I'm currently running an extended SMART test.

I don't see any Smart warnings on the DASHBOARD page?

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Looks like this was during a parity check, but in addition to a lot of read errors, a lot of write errors were also logged at that time. Was anything writing to your server during the parity check?

Do you have a spare disk you can rebuild to?

Thanks, yes I have it do parity check every other month and I run into this issue every time.

image.png.d2846ef416e6155f478764fc00872356.png

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know if anything was writing during parity check, it starts at 2am.

Unfortunately, I do not have a disk that I can rebuild to.  I've already replaced 2 HDDs with new drives since this already happened in the past every time I try to do a parity check.

I don't have the budget to buy new drives every time I do a parity check.

Edited by taflix
  • Solution
14 minutes ago, taflix said:

don't see any Smart warnings on the DASHBOARD page?

Maybe you already acknowledged it. Or maybe you aren't looking in the right place. Post a screenshot

15 minutes ago, taflix said:

What am I doing wrong?

One thing you are doing wrong is having scheduled parity check set to correct parity errors. You don't want to corrupt parity if another disk or other problem such as bad RAM is causing parity errors. You should set the scheduled check to NOT correct parity, and then if there are parity errors, you can decide whether to correct them by running another parity check.

Let extended SMART test complete. If it is OK should be alright to rebuild to the same disk.

Do you have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable? Parity is not a substitute for backups

1 hour ago, trurl said:

One thing you are doing wrong is having scheduled parity check set to correct parity errors. You don't want to corrupt parity if another disk or other problem such as bad RAM is causing parity errors. You should set the scheduled check to NOT correct parity, and then if there are parity errors, you can decide whether to correct them by running another parity check.

Okay, thanks.  I didn't know that was a best practice thing and fixed it.
image.png.8a683b9b479b966194f16b29a2afb2b4.png 

It would help users if these "best practices" were implemented in the help.  And, it would reduce the amount of support posts by helping users abide by best practices.

Maybe you already acknowledged it. Or maybe you aren't looking in the right place. Post a screenshot

Is this where I should be looking?  

image.thumb.png.c16217aa7a119c01e8cec8d704dfcf8c.png

17 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Assuming emulated disk is still mounting and contents look correct rebuild on top:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

Thanks JorgeB.

Every other month when I do a parity check, I have to go through this process -- Disk fails, unmounts, UNRAID says there are errors, but extended tests show no errors. 

Any ideas to help me figure out why and how to prevent this from happening again?

I have a very vanilla setup.  I only use this for NAS, no VM's, nothing else.

Also, does "maintenance mode" disable READ and WRITE or just WRITE?

Edited by taflix
On 10/6/2022 at 7:07 PM, trurl said:

I think you are good, except your appdata, domains, system shares are on the array. Ideally these would be on a fast pool. Docker/VM performance will be impacted by slower array, and array disks can't spin down since these files are always open

Thanks trurl!  I use UNRAID only for NAS storage.  I don't run any dockers or VM's.

Have a great weekend man!