Transfer Unraid License from one server to another

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello Unraid Family,

I currently have a Pro License on an R720xd (24 2.5" drives) and have recently been given a 730xd (12 3.5" drives).  I've seen Space Invader's video on Migrating from one server to another, but that only allows for using the same hard drives.  Is it possible to transfer the pro license and go from 2.5" drives to 3.5" drives?  Any help is appreciated.

Will you be migrating data off your old drives or just starting from scratch?  Either way, Unraid is surprisingly tolerant of moving to new hardware.  You can add new drives and migrate the data, or just delete your array and start all over again.  I would suggest backing up your USB drive first - on the main screen, click on the flash drive and then click on the "flash backup" button, in case you want to roll back.  But other than that, as John said, just boot on the USB drive - the license is tied to the USB drive alone, not any of the other hardware (drives, motherboard, cpu).  So unless you wanted to move your license to a new USB key (instructions on the wiki for that), you don't need to do anything special.

That's the problem, I need to move data from old server (2.5" drives) to new server (3.5" drives).  I understand just moving the usb with license, but if i take the license out of the old server and put in new server, then how do i transfer the data?  I think I will be forced to buy a new license for the new server and just transfer the files.  That's a waste of $$ that I don't have, but can't think of another way.