Plex docker on seperate network from rest of Unraid server

Hello.

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I could not find a good answer.

So currently all my dockers are on the same IP as the unraid server (or at least same subnet if using x mode). I would like to move the Plex docker to my other vlan where my htpc and other clients are. How would I do this? The main reason is to remove the "Plex server is on a different subnet than client" issue and also to secure my server so that my htpc can't reach the other dockers.

So current setup is this

Unraid Server address: 10.2.0.x

Plex Docker address: 10.2.0.x:32400

What I want is this

Unraid Server address: 10.2.0.x

Plex Docker address: 10.3.0.x:32400

How do I fix this and also allow the plex server docker to grab the media files still on 10.2.0.x? Does the plex docker need to be able to connect to the unraid server fileshares through the firewall? If so, which ports are used?

3 hours ago, cadmiumcadamium said:

So currently all my dockers are on the same IP as the unraid server (or at least same subnet if using x mode). I would like to move the Plex docker to my other vlan where my htpc and other clients are. How would I do this?

I have created a VLAN just for Docker containers.  This VLAN is 192.168.3.x.  My unRAID server and many other devices in my home are on the 192.168.1.x subnet.  UnRIAD server IP is 192.168.1.10

As long as this VLAN is something unRAID knows about and is visible in the docker container configuration page as a custom network (br0.3 in my situation), nothing special needs to be done to "connect" the Plex docker container on the 3.x subnet to the unRAID server on the 1.x subnet.

Plex clients

image.thumb.png.ec9f9ddbe3769053fbfa13485fc7e31a.png

Because the router is configured to pass traffic between all LANs/VLANs automatically, Plex clients local and remote connect to 192.168.3.110:32400 without issue.  Here is the remote setup.

image.thumb.png.1f14a5a664c54afceef90cb6354c6958.png

To get it all set up properly, I followed this guide.  There is also a video explaining it here.  Caveat: your router and switch(es) must support VLANs (apparently yours do since you have a VLAN).

Full disclosure:  I have not watched the entire video but I assume it will get you where you need to be just as the forum discussion will.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 1 year later...

I have a follow up to this 

Currently I cannot use my custom docker container networks for plex. When I attempt to tell the plex docker to use my custom docker network, it does not apply an IP to it. Any other docker container i apply this network to works.

NIC1 = Gateway1 - unraid nic 10.200.x.x
NIC2 = Gateway2 - plex nic 192.168.x.x

At the preset time plex is setup using 'eth1' and talking to the outside world successfully

However, my local lan 10.200.x.x cannot hit plex internal IP. 

This hinders local LAN traffic not being able to route to NIC2 ... so when viewing plex on the internal network , all traffic is going to the WAN NIC1 back to WAN NIC2 

How can I access plex internally on another gateway and NIC so traffic doesn't leave the internal network?

I also tried to put plex on the same network to test... to leave it on the same gateway as my other dockers with the same custom docker network, and it doesn't get an IP, so not sure why that is?

Edited by bombz
On 10/25/2022 at 8:43 PM, Hoopster said:

I have created a VLAN just for Docker containers.  This VLAN is 192.168.3.x.  My unRAID server and many other devices in my home are on the 192.168.1.x subnet.  UnRIAD server IP is 192.168.1.10

As long as this VLAN is something unRAID knows about and is visible in the docker container configuration page as a custom network (br0.3 in my situation), nothing special needs to be done to "connect" the Plex docker container on the 3.x subnet to the unRAID server on the 1.x subnet.

Plex clients

image.thumb.png.ec9f9ddbe3769053fbfa13485fc7e31a.png

Because the router is configured to pass traffic between all LANs/VLANs automatically, Plex clients local and remote connect to 192.168.3.110:32400 without issue.  Here is the remote setup.

image.thumb.png.1f14a5a664c54afceef90cb6354c6958.png

To get it all set up properly, I followed this guide.  There is also a video explaining it here.  Caveat: your router and switch(es) must support VLANs (apparently yours do since you have a VLAN).

Full disclosure:  I have not watched the entire video but I assume it will get you where you need to be just as the forum discussion will.

I am attempted this unsuccessfully :-(