[SOLVED] Best and fastest way to change all drives in cache pool to larger ones in 2022?

tmchow
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Typical way to change disks in your cache drive (single or pool) has been to:

1.    Disable VM
2.    disable docker
3.    change all shares to cache=yes
4.    invoke mover, wait for it to finish
5.    change drives

However this is a little painful  and slow.  I was wondering if it was faster to just all the 2 new drives as additional drives to the cache pool, then when it’s done setting up, remove the 2 original drives.  

I then found this comment which indicates it’s possible:  

However my old drives are 512GB SSD and my new ones are 1TB. Will this work while ultimately leasing me using the full 1TB when the two 512GB are removed from the pool?

Edited by tmchow
3 hours ago, trurl said:

You definitely don't want cache-prefer if your intent is to get files off cache. Prefer moves files TO cache. It would be used to put files back on cache after replacing.

Thanks, good catch. But the meat of what I'm asking is whether all that is necessary or if I can just add the 2 new 1TB drives to the cache pool, wait unitl they are added, then remove the other original 2 x 512GB, and in the end have a 1 TB cache pool

• Solution
11 hours ago, tmchow said:

Thanks, good catch. But the meat of what I'm asking is whether all that is necessary or if I can just add the 2 new 1TB drives to the cache pool, wait unitl they are added, then remove the other original 2 x 512GB, and in the end have a 1 TB cache pool

You can, you can also replace one device at a time:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=480419

• tmchow changed the title to [SOLVED] Best and fastest way to change all drives in cache pool to larger ones in 2022?