Best board for dual AOC-SASLP-MV8?

There are several boards that will work, but I don't know what is available to you 'over here'.  For example, the technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13414.0]JetWay JHZ03-GT-V2-LF is a great choice, but it is now difficult to find in the US.  Maybe you'll have more luck?

Im afraid the JetWay is out of reach here as well. I've been eyeing the MSI H55M-ED55, which looks like it will be able to handle dual cards. Also, its available here and its cheap.

There are several boards that will work, but I don't know what is available to you 'over here'.  For example, the JetWay JHZ03-GT-V2-LF is a great choice, but it is now difficult to find in the US.  Maybe you'll have more luck?

That is so weird.  I really wonder why they are having such a hard time getting it into the States.  it seems to sell fairly well on Newegg.  V1 was deactivated and several months later, V2 came out.  I was thinking about getting one then, but didn't.  Now V2 is deactivated.  I'm really curious as to what's going on.

It is a quickly changing market.  Most of the budget motherboards we use are designed for HTPCs, gaming computers, etc.  The technologies in those fields are changing at a much faster rate than the tech you typically find in the more expensive server boards.  We are a pretty niche community - most people want the newest, the best, and the fastest.  We want the cheap, reliable, and readily available ;)

Does anyone know of an AM3 DDR3 board that runs the card well?

I've got an Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB 3 with one at the moment, will try two one day when I get enough hdds. I'm just about to get a second board for my everyday PC and was thinking of getting a board that will also support more just incase myunRAID motherboard dies and I can use it as a spare.

Thanks Josh

Does anyone know of an AM3 DDR3 board that runs the card well?

I've got an Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB 3 with one at the moment, will try two one day when I get enough hdds. I'm just about to get a second board for my everyday PC and was thinking of getting a board that will also support more just incase myunRAID motherboard dies and I can use it as a spare.

Thanks Josh

I just finished testing a new budget board that just so happens to be a socket AM3 that takes DDR3 RAM.  The board is the JetWay JMA3-880GTV2-LF.  I paid $60 shipped, though, so you might want to wait for a sale.  Hope it works out for you.

I just finished testing a new budget board that just so happens to be a socket AM3 that takes DDR3 RAM.  The board is the JetWay JMA3-880GTV2-LF.  I paid $60 shipped, though, so you might want to wait for a sale.  Hope it works out for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like it only has one PCI x4 capable slot so not for duall supermicro cards.

Thanks Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like it only has one PCI x4 capable slot so not for duall supermicro cards.

Thanks Josh

Oops, you are right.  I must have forgotten the title of the thread when posting.  ;D

I just built a system for a friend that uses the Asus M4A79XTD Evo mobo with a single AOC-SASLP-MV8 card for 15 drives total. There's a second 16x PCIe slot on the board that should work fine for a second AOC-SASLP-MV8 card but I haven't tried it. I don't see why there would be an issue.

Ben

That doesn't look too bad, better realtek NIC (8112L) but doesn't have onboard video.

I have the Asus M4AGTD PRO USB3 which I believe there is someone running 2 supermicro cards but there are a few issues with the realtek NIC sometimes and the supermicro card running in AHCI mode but it is fixable.

Josh

I'm running unRaid 4.7 on an ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3 with two Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards using the .15 firmware. 

My XP machines seem to have no troubles at all with the Realtek NIC. (or a linux NAS as the case may be)

Running in AHCI mode and DOCP memory timings.

Bobby

Did you have to make any special updates or changes or did it work out of the box?

I'm looking to build a 20 drive 4220 box and focusing on this mb with maybe a sempron 140 to start with although newegg just ran out of the procs.

Did you have to make any special updates or changes or did it work out of the box?

By the sounds of it, just downgrade the supermicro firmware.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9488.msg91984#msg91984

I've written a step by step.

With the NIC:

I've heard some people with no issues and I had no problems with mine for a few months but then started getting these eth0 link lost and refound in the syslog that were repeated plenty of times. I just put an intel nic in as that was the easiest.

Josh

• 3 months later...

@All - correct me if I have this wrong... since I also have a Gigabyte 880 series AMD mobo and had to down grade the firmware from .21 to .15 to get dual cards to work...

With 3TB HDDs you need to use the .21 firmware, which means for many of the AMD motherboards using the 880 chipset we are going to have an issue:

- .15 firmware = dual AOC-SASLP-MV8 works but no 3TB support

- .21 firmware = dual AOC-SASLP-MV8 does NOT work however there is 3TB support

At least one motherboard manufacturer has updated their motherboard BIOS to allow the .21 AOCs to boot correctly however many vendors have not e.g. I don't believe Gigabyte has.

We therefore are going to have some issues which may need a new motherboard if we want 3TB support

Alex

• 6 months later...