Server crashing(?) randomly and not sure how to troubleshoot

I have been using Unraid for years and have not made any recent configuration changes. Over the past week or so, I will attempt to watch media or otherwise access the server and it is unavailable. The physical server is running, however I cannot access GUI, it does not show up on my routers connected devices, and when I connect a monitor it tells me there is no signal. I did not feel like I had any other option, and hard shut down the server. After restarting, everything seemed normal. I was able to access and use the server normally for a day+. But at some point over the following 48 hours, it did the same thing and I am yet again unable to access anything. I had tried to leave the monitor connected with the log running, but it apparently quickly went to sleep and I was unable to wake. So, I am not sure how to troubleshoot this as it randomly happens and I cannot access the server after it does without hard restarting. Does anyone have suggestions?

On 12/8/2022 at 5:03 PM, JorgeB said:

Enable the syslog server and post that together with the diagnostics after the next crash.

Thanks for replying. I enabled the option to mirror to the flash drive but it is not creating any logs, and I do not really have another computer on the network that I can use as a server to receive the log. I have already hard power cycled like 6 times and it just seems like at some point its going to completely screw up my data, but I have no idea what to do otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

At the very least, post your diagnostics anyways and run memtest from the boot menu for a minimum of 2 complete passes

On the 3rd try, it did save my diagnostics file to flash, however a crash did not occur during this timeframe so maybe this file is not helpful? Thanks @Squid and others for the assistance

tower-diagnostics-20221211-1159.zip

Edited by --Kyle--
13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

Thanks for the idea, this is old hardware so certainly could be the culprit. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update in the unlikely event someone happens across this in the future. I started up in Safe Mode just to limit variable, and magically was stable for over a week. Ultimately have figured out the issue was in sleep settings. I'm not sure if I was using sleep settings previously and didn't realize/it was working flawlessly and something changed or what, but I disabled the sleep settings and that seemed to resolve the issue. I bet the root of the issue lies in Unraid (not) waking from that sleep, but I do not have time to continue to troubleshoot and do not have a specific need for the server to sleep, so disabling all together resolves the problem for me. Thanks all for taking the time to assist, really appreciate this community!