File recovery of deleted file that is still in use.

mdrodge
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

It was 1.30am and I definitely should have gone to bed...... a long time ago

Long story short I deleted docker.img and I really don't want to set up 28 containers from scratch

I was doing some work on server 3 (doesn't get much love) when I thought I'd remove libvert (this isn't my vm rig) but i'm half asleep and deleted docker.img to.

Docker is fine at the moment and I was told I while ago (cant find that thread now but I've seen it in action before) that if you delete a file that is still in use it just becomes hidden/renamed so docker should be fine until I stop docker and then it will fully remove the file.

If I have to set it up from scratch I'd lose aptalca/docker-dolphin since that has been deprecated witch I would hate to lose so another good reason to recover the file.

Anyone know how to restore the file?

The file is still there, I'm still running docker and all the containers are fine (it's bigger than the RAM so it's on disk somewhere)

28 containers each with an extensive list of custom parameters, one of witch cannot be gotten from the Community Apps page anymore because it's EOL is not as easy as renaming a file. 

There is no way to get Dolphin as far as I can tell.

Deleted files if they can't be deleted get renamed and hidden until the service stops using them.

For example in a handbrake render if you delete the source file the render will still complete and you can even see it's source file with a new name via SMB.

• 2 weeks later...

And Docker is still running fine 2 weeks later. (and will until I reboot)

someone knows the answer to this.

can nobody show me a way to save the templates or anything??

The bast answer can not be start from scratch. (I've done that 100's of times in the past on various devices but on this occasion I'd sooner hit the thing with a hammer and throw all 200tb in the bin than start from scratch) 

• Solution
On 12/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, JorgeB said:

Docker image can easily be recreated.

46 minutes ago, mdrodge said:

save the templates

Your docker templates are on flash and the working storage for each container should be in appdata, so unless you did something to delete those you should be able to recreate docker.img and reinstall your containers from Previous Apps and they will work just as before and pick up where they left off.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Create_the_Docker_image_file

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Installing_Docker_Applications

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

.fuse_hidden0000047d0000000a

Is a file that unraid created to today when I deleted a mp4 that was being used by handbrake. This is how unraid works.

Yes i've created a new docker.img and spend several hours setting that up BUT.......

The simplest way of restoring a file that is still in use (that isn't a part of the OS) is to locate the hidden file in its place and rename it..   (incase that helps anyone!!)

(I would put money on the fact that this is possible with docker.img to, if we could see the hidden file since docker worked for a month "without" it's .img file proving that the file was still there somewhere)