Need help

Mylo75
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Ok I think I have made an absolute balls up with my server.

I got new hardware and was messing about with dual booting windows and unraid. But when I went back and booted unraid my parity and 4 out of my 5 disks are now showing as unmountable saying 'unsupported partition layout'.

Am I totally screwed or can I recover my data. I tried running Check Filesystem Status using -v on 1 disk but didn't seem to do anything.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

unraid.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20221219-1037.zip

Filesystem check won't help since the problem are the partitions, not the filesystem, if parity is still valid you might be able to rebuild the disks one at a time, you can test by unassigning one of the unmountable disks and starting the array, Unraid will recreate the partition then see if the emulated disk mounts.

Dual boot is OK. Letting Windows do anything to an Unraid disk in Disk Manager or anything else is not OK.

And Windows cannot work natively with Unraid filesystems. If you have something installed in Windows that will let it read Unraid filesystems, it might be OK to let it read an Unraid disk depending on exactly what it does. It must mount the disk read-only or it will invalidate parity even if you don't actually write to the disk.

Why not run a Windows VM in Unraid instead of dual-booting?

Another possibility is to have an Unassigned Device formatted NTFS and only let Windows have access to that. Windows and Unraid could both work with that disk.

Yes my plan is to set up a windows VM and passthrough my GPU,  usb and 1 of my 1TB nvme drives.  It was just the new hardware that had got me fiddling and experimenting. When I get unraid up and running again there will be no more fiddling for me. 

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. Probably going to need more getting this VM setup.