I cannot get SMB to work

wwe9112
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I'm still on my trial I think I have like 24 days left or something.  Literally the entire time I've had unRaid, I've ben fighting trying to get SMB to work. See screenshots:

In addition to the attachment settings I've tried the following:

1. making the share public

2. accessing it via root

3. resetting the directory permissions

4. tried setting client min protocol = SMB2

5. edited LanmanWorkstation to allow insecure workstations and authentication methods. 

6. net * /delete (which didn't matter obviously lol)

7. Turning on SMBv1

8. cleared credential manager

9. When i do get an error instead of just a loop of logins, it says the login attempt failed. 

I think i've gone through all threads that I can find about this, made every change I seen suggested, It's still not working for me. Ideas?

Thank you. 

share-settings.png

smb-unraid-settings.png

user.png

advanced-networking-center.png

vault-diagnostics-20230127-2204.zip

5 minutes ago, wwe9112 said:

accessing it via root

root does not have any special permissions for network file access. rpot is treated just like any other anonymous user. Should be able to work with public shares though.

5 minutes ago, wwe9112 said:

resetting the directory permissions

How? Tools - New Permissions on the share in question is the only way you should do this.

Your screenshot showed a private share. Set a share to public, clear credential manager, then try to access the share.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

root does not have any special permissions for network file access. rpot is treated just like any other anonymous user. Should be able to work with public shares though.

How? Tools - New Permissions on the share in question is the only way you should do this.

Your screenshot showed a private share. Set a share to public, clear credential manager, then try to access the share.

I tried root in addition to my user. They both failed. 

That's exactly how I reset the permissions. That didn't work either unfortunately. 

When I tried it as a public share, with all settings set to the least restrictive as possible, I still was unsuccessful in accessing the share. 

3 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Many installs of Windows10/11 now block 'guest' access privileges to servers.  You have to have a valid SMB on the server account for the Windows client to allow access. 

Isn't that what the account in the screenshot is though? the "wwe9112" account? 

here is another screenshot I just grabbed after getting frustrated and typing the login 4 or so times

error-after-typing-credentials-several-times.png

10 minutes ago, wwe9112 said:

Isn't that what the account in the screenshot is though? the "wwe9112" account? 

Did you make a credential for this user to this server in the Windows Credential Manager?  (Type 'Credential Manager' in the search widow on the Task Bar...)

EDIT:  Note that you must always access the server with either the server name or the server's IP address depending on which one you used in the credential.

Edited by Frank1940
1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

Did you make a credential for this user to this server in the Windows Credential Manager?  (Type 'Credential Manager' in the search widow on the Task Bar...)

I did, I get the same loop i spoke about earlier. After a few tries, it throws an error stating the device isn't working, other times it throws an error stating that the network login attempt failed. 

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

SMB is tricky once you get an error message. One thing to do is to open a Windows 'Command prompt' Terminal and type the following command

net use * /delete

This will knock all current server connections.

I just did it again and it didn't help.  I tried it as admin too. 

Another thing I just tried was to set all the shares to private. I also created a test share set to private. Assigned the user wwe9112 to it, the share still fails to be accessed. I even tried to change the password to something more complex. Moreover, I updated the Windows credentials to reflect the change. It is still failing, well, both shares are still failing. 

cmd.png

Try to work with public shares. That way it won't matter which user windows tries to connect with. If you can get that to work then you can try to go from there.

I notice you have disk shares enabled. I don't recommend that, and it is not the default setting. Not clear that should matter, but it does make me wonder if you have changed some setting in Unraid that is causing problems, since most people do not have this problem.

See this in syslog that I don't think we usually see. Some setting you made that might cause it?

Jan 27 18:10:14 vault root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault root: Timeout reached while wating for return value
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault root: Could not receive return value from daemon process.
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  emhttpd: shcmd (5760): exit status: 255
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  emhttpd: shcmd (5761): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  avahi-dnsconfd[966]: connect(): Connection refused
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  avahi-dnsconfd[966]: Failed to connect to the daemon. This probably means that you
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  avahi-dnsconfd[966]: didn't start avahi-daemon before avahi-dnsconfd.
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  emhttpd: shcmd (5761): exit status: 1

14 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Be sure that you try   \\vault    in Windows Explorer.  Right now, \\IP_Address does not work on my computer...

I can ping it, but I cannot get to it. 

It's wild to me that I had NO ISSUE at all with any other nas system setting up SMB shares (Truenas, Open Media Vault, Windows Server, Plain Debian, Arch even). Somehow, Unraid seems to be the problem child lol. 

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Try to work with public shares. That way it won't matter which user windows tries to connect with. If you can get that to work then you can try to go from there.

I notice you have disk shares enabled. I don't recommend that, and it is not the default setting. Not clear that should matter, but it does make me wonder if you have changed some setting in Unraid that is causing problems, since most people do not have this problem.

See this in syslog that I don't think we usually see. Some setting you made that might cause it?

Jan 27 18:10:14 vault root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault root: Timeout reached while wating for return value
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault root: Could not receive return value from daemon process.
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  emhttpd: shcmd (5760): exit status: 255
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  emhttpd: shcmd (5761): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  avahi-dnsconfd[966]: connect(): Connection refused
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  avahi-dnsconfd[966]: Failed to connect to the daemon. This probably means that you
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  avahi-dnsconfd[966]: didn't start avahi-daemon before avahi-dnsconfd.
Jan 27 18:10:34 vault  emhttpd: shcmd (5761): exit status: 1

I'm not sure what that is at all. I have Tailscale installed and Cloudflare Tunnels installed. I've since disable disk shares, and still no cigar. Same with public shares. 

31 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can you get it to work if you disable Docker in Settings and boot in SAFE mode?

I think it is working now. So, removing tailscale (which sucks to have to remove since I used it as a subnet router to access other devices outside of unraid). Then using as 'run' \\vault\media worked. 

Thank you for your time fellas. I appreciate the support!

Edited by wwe9112

You have screwed around with virtually all of the security settings that MS and SMB have had to implement in the past half dozen years to keep out the bad guys.  You need to think about security if you have any exposure at all.  (And I suspect you do after looking up tailscale...)  There is a thread that does go through how to set things up to work in the environment that MS considers to be secure.  (Occasionally, MS will set/reset SMB security  parameters via their monthly auto-updates-- They 'owe' the SMB spec --and people who try to run outside of the box get bit.)  You will find a white paper about it in the first post of this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

11 hours ago, wwe9112 said:

I think it is working now. So, removing tailscale (which sucks to have to remove since I used it as a subnet router to access other devices outside of unraid). Then using as 'run' \\vault\media worked. 

Thank you for your time fellas. I appreciate the support!

You can easily do this with the built in Wireguard.