Problem: UNRAID 6.11.5 - Unmountable: Wrong or no file system

DaveW42
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Thanks, JorgeB.  I proceeded as you indicated.    Below are the results (the first block was run with just -v, and the second block was run with -Lv .  I then tried to start the array in normal mode (not maintenance), which triggered a rebuild.  But then it occurred to me that Disk 1 was set as "Not Installed" (recall that I have two drives with an issue).  I had removed Disk 1 using the GUI, to avoid the chance that at some point it might try to rebuild that drive onto itself, as opposed to a replacement drive.   I wasn't sure if not having anything assigned to Disk 1 might create a problem for the rebuild of Disk 12, so I immediately cancelled the rebuild of Disk 12 using the GUI, and stopped the array.  The GUI  currently reads "Start will bring the array on-line and start Data-Rebuild."

Which of the following should I do now, or should I do something else?

Option A) restart the array in normal mode, with Disk 1 left as "Not Installed" and Disk 12 assigned to the 10TB drive that was just repaired with -L

Option B) reassign Disk 1 to the original 14TB that UNRAID disabled (and which I believe UNRAID regards as unmountable), then restart the array in normal mode with Disk 12 assigned to the 10TB drive that was just repaired with -L

Option C) replace Disk 1 with one of my new precleared 14 TB drives, then restart the array in normal mode with Disk 12 assigned to the 10TB drive that was just repaired with -L

I guess I'm just not quite sure if any of this might trigger a parity check as part of the data rebuild, and I want to make sure the system is properly configured should that occur. I'm also not quite clear how emulation is fitting into this picture as well.  For example, is emulation occurring if no drive is assigned to Disk 1?  And would UNRAID at some point *forget* the need to emulate Disk 1?  I still don't quite understand why certain files appear lost despite messages indicating that both Disk 1 and Disk 12 were being emulated.  Is there a link or forum post that you could point me to, so I could understand that part better?

Thanks again so much!

Dave

BLOCK 1

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
        - block cache size set to 3005320 entries
sb root inode value 18446744073709551615 (NULLFSINO) inconsistent with calculated value 128
resetting superblock root inode pointer to 128
sb realtime bitmap inode value 18446744073709551615 (NULLFSINO) inconsistent with calculated value 129
resetting superblock realtime bitmap inode pointer to 129
sb realtime summary inode value 18446744073709551615 (NULLFSINO) inconsistent with calculated value 130
resetting superblock realtime summary inode pointer to 130
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
zero_log: head block 1075093 tail block 1075089
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
of the filesystem before doing this.

BLOCK 2

- block cache size set to 3005320 entries
sb root inode value 18446744073709551615 (NULLFSINO) inconsistent with calculated value 128
resetting superblock root inode pointer to 128
sb realtime bitmap inode value 18446744073709551615 (NULLFSINO) inconsistent with calculated value 129
resetting superblock realtime bitmap inode pointer to 129
sb realtime summary inode value 18446744073709551615 (NULLFSINO) inconsistent with calculated value 130
resetting superblock realtime summary inode pointer to 130
        - zero log...
zero_log: head block 1075093 tail block 1075089
ALERT: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which is being
destroyed because the -L option was used.
        - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
clearing needsrepair flag and regenerating metadata
sb_icount 0, counted 262400
sb_ifree 0, counted 1948
sb_fdblocks 2441087425, counted 140977217
        - found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
        - scan and clear agi unlinked lists...
        - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 7
        - agno = 8
        - agno = 9
        - process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
        - setting up duplicate extent list...
        - check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 8
        - agno = 7
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 9
Phase 5 - rebuild AG headers and trees...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 7
        - agno = 8
        - agno = 9
        - reset superblock...
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
        - resetting contents of realtime bitmap and summary inodes
        - traversing filesystem ...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 7
        - agno = 8
        - agno = 9
        - traversal finished ...
        - moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
Phase 7 - verify and correct link counts...
Maximum metadata LSN (1:1075085) is ahead of log (1:2).
Format log to cycle 4.

XFS_REPAIR Summary    Tue Feb 21 10:56:10 2023

Phase        Start        End        Duration
Phase 1:    02/21 10:53:21    02/21 10:53:21
Phase 2:    02/21 10:53:21    02/21 10:53:49    28 seconds
Phase 3:    02/21 10:53:49    02/21 10:54:23    34 seconds
Phase 4:    02/21 10:54:23    02/21 10:54:23
Phase 5:    02/21 10:54:23    02/21 10:54:23
Phase 6:    02/21 10:54:23    02/21 10:54:54    31 seconds
Phase 7:    02/21 10:54:54    02/21 10:54:54

Total run time: 1 minute, 33 seconds
done

Thanks, trulrl.  I stopped the array to run xfs_repair via the GUI, and I have checked the "maintenance mode" box.   There is a message next to that box that says "Maintenance mode - if checked, Start array but do not mount disks."  However, above that message is another message indicating "Start will start Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild."

If I click "Start" to start the array, will UNRAID actually start a parity-sync and/or data-rebuild as the message is indicating, or will it just let me access Disk 1 so I can run xfs_repair in maintenance mode?  I just want to make sure it doesn't try to rebuild Disk 1 onto itself, which I think would be bad.

Thanks!

Dave

OK, still like this and still what you need to do. Don't reassign any disks.

7 hours ago, trurl said:

Emulated disk12 is mounted and 95% full. Emulated disk1 is unmountable.

Check filesystem on disk1

And it knows disk1 is xfs so you shouldn't have this problem.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Could be it didn't know the filesystem of emulated disk since it is unmountable, so it didn't offer to let you check filesystem.

Hi, trurl.   I'm not quite sure what you are asking me to do as a next step.  Could you clarify?

The array is currently running in normal mode, with no disks assigned as Disk 1 and Disk 12.  The 14TB disk that was disabled (i.e., as Disk 1) currently appears as Dev 2 in Unassigned Devices.  It is also labelled as sdd and is not mounted.  The 10TB disk that we ran -L on (i.e., as Disk 12) is in Unassigned Devices as Dev 1 (sdh), and is not mounted.  When I click on Dev 2 in Unassigned Devices, there is no area for me to run xfs_repair via the GUI.

If I am understanding the manual correctly, this is the part where I need to be very careful and make sure to fix the drive by going through unRAID parity management.   Since the Disk 1   14TB  drive is currently placed in Unassigned Devices, I believe this means that that drive is not on the array and is not currently regarded as a participant in unRAID parity management. Do we need to do our next steps via the terminal, since the GUI does not show xfs_repair for Dev 2?  Also, as a quick reminder from my first post, this particular 14TB drive was disabled by UNRAID, and I have taken no steps with it since that time (i.e., I have NOT yet tried to replace this drive with a new drive, to let it sync/rebuild based on the emulated version of the disabled drive).  Would it be safer to just sync/rebuild this drive onto a new precleared drive, and then run xfs on the replacement drive?  Please let me know.

Thanks again for the help and insight!

Dave

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Why did you unassign disk12? It will need to be rebuilt now

It already needed rebuilding. He reassigned it before we were ready. I had him unassign it so nothing would be rebuilt until we had repaired disk1.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Last diags posted are full of spam, please reboot and pot new diags after array start.

Reboot is OK to clear the logs. Leave disk1 and disk12 unassigned.

7 hours ago, DaveW42 said:

what you are asking me to do

Start the array in normal mode with nothing assigned as disks 1, 12. That way it won't begin rebuilding anything, and we can check the contents of emulated disks 1, 12, and work on repairing emulated disk1.

Then post new diagnostics

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

initially disk12 was not disabled, just ummountable

Reviewing the thread, that is the case in the beginning, and he needlessly unassigned it. After we got emulated disk12 repaired, and before we had repaired disk1, he apparently reassigned both disks because it wouldn't let him check filesystem on auto fs disk1. Then rebuild started, so I had him unassign both so we could continue working on disk1 repair.

Sorry for any missteps on my part!  I am trying the best I can to proceed step-by-step through the guidance provided.  Since I am a newbie to the inner workings of unRAID, I hadn't realized the significance of unassigning a drive and what the implications were.

Thanks for clarifying the next step, trurl:

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Start the array in normal mode with nothing assigned as disks 1, 12. That way it won't begin rebuilding anything, and we can check the contents of emulated disks 1, 12, and work on repairing emulated disk1.

Then post new diagnostics

Current state of machine:   Disk 1 and Disk 12 still appear with red x's as "Not installed."  Array is running in normal mode.  Attached is the new diagnostic file.

Thanks,

Dave

nas24-diagnostics-20230222-0939.zip

Thanks!  And thanks also for the additional comment regarding our focus on emulated disks (it helps me better understand this process). 

Below is the requested output.

Dave

xfs_repair -v /dev/md1
bad primary superblock - bad CRC in superblock !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
.found candidate secondary superblock...
verified secondary superblock...
writing modified primary superblock
        - block cache size set to 2975488 entries
        - zero log...
zero_log: head block 2227444 tail block 2227440
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
of the filesystem before doing this.