I am lost about the cache logic(s)

I have two shares with enabled cache. So when I transfer data from the download share to the media share it will first go to the cache drive of the media share and from there using the mover finally to the share. So far so good..

Now I want to disable the cache for both media containing shares but enabled for the download share.

When I try to move data from the download share (cached) to the media share (cache disabled) it will stuck on the cache drive. From my understanding it should be written directly to the media share or am I wrong?

Do any of the files for media share still exist on cache? If yes, those files will still be managed on cache. Any new writes will go to array. You can check where files are by clicking compute on shares tab

If files are still on cache, set cache to "yes", then run mover and once there is nothing on CA he drive, set cache to "no". Don't forget to disable anything writing to that share during this move. Mover ignores any open files

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Civic1201 said:

When I try to move data from the download share (cached) to the media share (cache disabled) it will stuck on the cache drive. From my understanding it should be written directly to the media share or am I wrong?

It depends how you try to move them!   If you use Dynamix File Manager it should give you the result you expect.   If you use something that is not User Share aware then such as Krusader or the command line then you can get the behaviour described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

• Thanks 1

Ok my fault... I had the idea that with a disabled cache + copying using Krusader would write data direct to the destination share => not true

So basically a disabled cache for a share is "usefull" when writing data from external right?

Dynmics File Manager sounds little bit dangerous for me...

Background of my question was to use tdarr with cache disbled data drive but in the end I will have to transfer the data manually so I can keep the cache enabled for automatization using mover tuning plugin.

25 minutes ago, Civic1201 said:

Wow! I was using Krusader just for copying from share to share, not from disk to disk and thought it is safe.

If you copy share to share and afterwards delete the source you get the behaviour you expect.   However a ‘move’ can give the unexpected behaviour.

1 hour ago, Civic1201 said:

Dynmics File Manager sounds little bit dangerous for me

The whole idea of `Dynamix File Manager is that it knows about both User Shares and Disk Shares and how to handle them correctly.   It protects from the mistakes you can make with Krusader that can lead to data loss.