Getting an occasional pause then it starts an array check.

Go to solution Solved by dopeytree,

Not quite sure whats happening its started since the mass plugin updates. 

Occasionally the system is pausing possibly rebooting but I wonder if its actually sleeping and not waking properly causing an array error?

Either way what ever it is shouldn't be happening. 

Sleep is set from 11pm and this usually happens before then.

I can't see anything really obvious in the log but I'm probably not looking properly.

It completed an array check last week I think anything since then has been one of these wierd triggers.

So the array is fine.

I dont think it is a full restart as that takes a few minutes.

Could someone take a litle look at the diagnostics and see what they think is going on?

Thanks

moulin-rouge-diagnostics-20230302-2150.zip

Edited by dopeytree

I do see is the following message in the syslog:

Mar  2 21:44:59 Moulin-rouge Parity Check Tuning: Send notification: Automatic unRaid Parity-Check will be started: Unclean shutdown detected  (0.1% completed)

which means the plugin think there was an unclean shutdown.  Thinking about it that message might need to be reworded slightly as it could be some other array operation that was happening at the time so it is not always a parity-check.  What operation does it actually say is in progress on the status line?

However I also see this:

Mar  2 21:44:30 Moulin-rouge kernel: mdcmd (36): check correct
Mar  2 21:44:30 Moulin-rouge kernel: md: recovery thread: check P ...

which I would only expect if Unraid thinks it needs to be building parity (the normal default automatic check would be non-correcting).

2 seperate issues I think.

There's something happening where its showing old notifications. It also keeps poping up about a new nvidia driver but is on the current latest release.

The 2nd part is about the array check it starts after this 'pause'. before that message you should see some mention of s3 sleep?

Thanks

I have no experience of using S3 Sleep as I simply shutdown my servers overnight rather than sleeping them.  There might be issues with the S3 Sleep not bringing the system back in the correct state I guess on coming out of sleep mode.

You did not actually mention what the status line said about the exact operation that was running?  May not be relevant but thought it was worth checking.

Mar  2 21:42:30 Moulin-rouge  emhttpd: unclean shutdown detected

It was an unclean shutdown / reboot

Model name:                      Genuine Intel(R) 0000 @ 1.10GHz
BIOS Model name:                 Genuine Intel(R) 0000 @ 1.10GHz To Be Filled By O.E.M. CPU @ 1.0GHz

What CPU do you actually have??

CPU is an i9-1100t - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/212256/intel-core-i911900t-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

My syslog archive shows this for that same timeframe

Mar  2 20:42:56 Moulin-rouge kernel: input: Microsoft X-Box 360 pad 0 as /devices/virtual/input/input8
Mar  2 21:00:39 Moulin-rouge  emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdg
Mar  2 21:00:39 Moulin-rouge  emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdf
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: ----------------------------------------------
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: command-args=-C 1 -h 08 -h 17 -h 18 -h 19 -h 20 -h 21 -a -c -m 30 -e eth0 -N 12500 -D 0
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: action mode=sleep
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: check disks status=yes
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: check network activity=no
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: check active devices=no
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: check local login=no
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: check remote login=no
Mar  2 21:43:36 Moulin-rouge s3_sleep: version=3.0.10

In the past I changed the ram and that made the system stable haven't had an issue for a few months.

Edited by dopeytree

ah thanks when I look the the boot only syslog (the non archive one) it shows it booted up at 21:42 so that means it is randomly hanging and rebooting like you say.

Mar  2 21:41:36 Moulin-rouge kernel: Linux version 5.19.17-Unraid (root@Develop) (gcc (GCC) 12.2.0, GNU ld version 2.39-slack151) #2 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Nov 2 11:54:15 PDT 2022
Mar  2 21:41:36 Moulin-rouge kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot
Mar  2 21:41:36 Moulin-rouge kernel: x86/fpu: Supporting XSAVE feature 0x001: 'x87 floating point registers'

Next to work out why.

Have removed the cache plugin & nerd tools incase they are causing any issues.

The cache plugin has that bug that causes 1 cpu core to get locked up after waking from sleep.

The only other common thing I can see among the restarts are at the time plex is being used for 1x native stream (not transcode).

If it were a cpu hardware issue would expect it to happen when using steam-headless docker and pushing the CPU.

Edited by dopeytree