[Plugin] Tailscale

Just now, EDACerton said:

That was fast... give it about 5 minutes, if it's still not working run another diagnostic for me. The services can take a couple minutes to update configuration and restart.

Will do, I hit restart and it didn't look like anything happened. I'll send back in a few if nothing changes though.

Followed Todo88's advice and managed to get it working! Thanks for the help! I am not sure if this made a difference, but in case it might help someone, this was the command I used when I got everything working: "tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24,192.168.1.0/24 --advertise-exit-node", formerly I had --accept-routes enabled, but I just left it out this go and it seems to work just fine. The thing that finally pushed it over the edge to working was adding the tailscale gateway to the routing table with my IPv4 192.168.0.6 UnRAID address, which caused the web ui to become inaccessible from all routes, but after a restart, it started working again, and tailscale finally started acting as expected.

Edited by VampyreVK
  • Like 1
On 1/23/2024 at 10:44 PM, CopesaCola said:

I took a look at this, and the problem that I saw in the first diagnostic was corrected (nginx wasn't listening on the Tailscale IP, it is now).

As far as I can tell, everything looks normal. Can you get in via something other than your phone?

Also, just as an FYI -- there's a known issue with mobile devices and the WebGUI, if you log in from a mobile device and forget to close the page, it can eventually crash the WebGUI.

I don't know why but I tried nearly every suggestion from this thread and from the Tailscale website to improve the performance but connecting/opening files from my Unraid Tailscale SMB Shares via IOS Tailscale, is just painfully slow.

Does anybody has a hint or a tip ?

On 1/25/2024 at 9:59 PM, T-Birth said:

I don't know why but I tried nearly every suggestion from this thread and from the Tailscale website to improve the performance but connecting/opening files from my Unraid Tailscale SMB Shares via IOS Tailscale, is just painfully slow.

Does anybody has a hint or a tip ?

did you try forwarding the port 41641 (UDP) to your unraid server? its important that your tailscale devices connect directly and not via relay (DERP) servers. Using the relay servers is the most likely reason for slow performance: https://tailscale.com/kb/1257/connection-types

Hello, my Unraid is using a system proxy and it runs through a virtual machine called OpenWrt. Due to this setup, I am unable to access the Unraid WebUI after each boot, although I can access the Docker WebUI. I have to manually restart Tailscale in order to access the Unraid WebUI. Can you please advise me on how to solve this issue?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just discovered that I can open the WebUI before starting the virtual machine, but I can't open it after the virtual machine is started.

I found /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/tailscale/restart.sh. I wrote a script to temporarily solve this problem.

Red-tailscale-diag-20240130-145829.zip

Edited by LovelyRed
1 hour ago, rama3124 said:

Hi, i have the tailscale application installed as a docker container and use it to access my unraid server webui remotely without port forwarding. How is this plugin different from the application? Thanks

It is a plugin, not a container. Therefore it runs even before and independently of Docker. You can stop and start the Docker service on the web interface via Tailscale. Especially if you don’t autostart your array (due to encryption), this is the only way to start it from remote.

1 hour ago, TBT said:

It is a plugin, not a container. Therefore it runs even before and independently of Docker. You can stop and start the Docker service on the web interface via Tailscale. Especially if you don’t autostart your array (due to encryption), this is the only way to start it from remote.

Makes sense, thanks for the reply. I autostart my array and don't really need to be able to start and stop docker through tailscale. Are there other advantages to the plugin? For example, does it use less resources?

11 hours ago, martial said:

I see a new "Preview" version in the community apps; what is the use of this one versus the existing plugin?

I've decided to start using a two-stage release.

The "preview" version will get new updates as soon as they are ready -- new Tailscale versions, UI updates, etc.

The "regular" version will update more slowly (this will probably be about a week later than the preview version, although that's not set in stone).

It's easy to switch between the two versions, too -- just install the one you want from Community Applications, it will remove the old one as it installs.

Edited by EDACerton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 1/23/2024 at 6:57 PM, Myk3_ said:

Not sure I am doing something right.. I can access the UnRaid server by the tailscale IP as well as the "normal" IP.. I would like to access other machines on the network, so I added the networks to the available subnets. I am still unable to access the other IPs even though they have been added and approved in the tailscale console..

I am still unable to get subnets working while using the unraid plugin as the subnet router. I can access anything hosted and using the same IP as the unraid server.. I have 4 ethernet adapters 1 for each subnet, so different docker containers can be hosted on different subnets.. I have set those subnets as advertised routes and approved them in the tailscale gui.. anything I can check to see about getting the subnets working?

Edited by Myk3_
6 minutes ago, Myk3_ said:

I am still unable to get subnets working while using the unraid plugin as the subnet router. I can access anything hosted and using the same IP as the unraid server.. I have 4 ethernet adapters 1 for each subnet, so different docker containers can be hosted on different subnets.. I have set those subnets as advertised routes and approved them in the tailscale gui.. anything I can check to see about getting the subnets working?

UnRaid-tailscale-diag-20240131-112809.zip 237.56 kB · 0 downloads

Have you enabled host access to custom networks in your docker settings?