Hardware Compatibility List

Hi folks, 
It's been awhile since I have upgraded my server. Planning to do so now. Trying to pick a good MB and CPU combo - so I do not have to upgrade again for another 10 years or so. 

We used to have this back in the day: 

https://wiki.unraid.net/Hardware_Compatibility#Motherboard

This doesnt seem to be updated - is there a new location or another source for this information? 

Thank you. 

The info in that link is certainly outdated.  Looks to be about 10+ years or so.  (The Internet is certainly forever!)

As new components are quickly and continuously released, it is a fools errand to maintain such a list.  Even more so as Unraid has changed and grown over the years with more functionality, and the use cases that each system has vary so.  A "Compatible Hardware" list makes sense when there are specific requirements that software must have to run correctly.  For the vast majority of users, any Intel/AMD x86 system with a reasonable amount of DRAM and some drives can run Unraid.

A good general rule of thumb, if concerned about compatibility, is to avoid components that are newly released generations or a new product.  Such as when Ryzen was first launched, current Intel ARC GPUs, or other components which you would be one of the first to own.  This is not so much an issue for Unraid alone.  Unraid relies on the Linux kernel and drivers to support these devices, and there are always growing pains when a newly designed/changed component is released.  Plex has spent over a year trying to get latest generation Intel processors to transcode HDR properly.  It always takes time for software to catch up, especially that which is open sourced and collectively developed (which is the nature of Linux code).

So, a lot of writing to say most any modern x86 system will work just fine, unless your use case is well outside that of the typical Unraid user.

Fair enough. Thanks both. 

It was nice to have a here's the list of stuff we know works for sure. 

What thoughts on these M.2 to SATA adapters that some folks seem to be using? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3RMFFT?linkCode=sl2&tag=buylocal0e8-20&creativeASIN=B07T3RMFFT&asc_item-id=amzn1.ideas.2BS6J9W0XMNFQ&ref_=aip_sf_list_spv_ofs_d_asin&th=1

Modern MB seem to be rather short on SATA ports and heavy on M.2 ports. 

Thanks

Edited by daytona235
19 minutes ago, daytona235 said:

Here is a discussion of recommended controllers (both PCIe and M.2) that work well with Unraid when you are short on MB SATA ports.

You can also get a good idea about hardware that works well with Unraid by looking at post signatures.  If you don't see signatures, you can enable them in Account Settings by clicking on your user name at the top of the forums pages.

Edited by Hoopster
2 minutes ago, daytona235 said:

Fair enough. Thanks both. 

It was nice to have a here's the list of stuff we know works for sure. 

What thoughts on these M.2 to SATA adapters that some folks seem to be using? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3RMFFT?linkCode=sl2&tag=buylocal0e8-20&creativeASIN=B07T3RMFFT&asc_item-id=amzn1.ideas.2BS6J9W0XMNFQ&ref_=aip_sf_list_spv_ofs_d_asin&th=1

Thanks

Looks like a good option if not using like server boards. Something maybe I would use. I my self not having many server parts or able to have many unless I get a good deal. 

But lately with some of the parts I have been using I can only use 1 NVME Drive. and the other NVME has to be a Sata m.2. So I would say it depends if you want to pass a VM with a NVME or not. If you use one of these you need to make sure you double check what your mother board will allow and what you loose if you loose anything. Sometimes it will disable a PCIE 8x slot. And then later on if you want to use that slot you find out you can't. If you using a iATX Mini board.

I would assume this might be your only option for more sata ports.

And make sure you use one of the recommend models / chip-sets too. Many times some of the chip-sets are really bad preform-ace. Same goes if you get a regular PCIE card. I'll bet the NVME one though will be higher in the PCI Bus priority which will be good. But you just need to see what you might loose / gain.  In my current hardware on one of my boxes.

If I used that it would disable one of my PCIE 8x slots and I found it better for me to buy a HBA card and use that instead. But again you might be facing a cooling or space issue. So all depends on your case.

Good points made above.  Always check what trade offs a motherboard may make when using M.2 slots.  Many current boards may disable onboard SATA ports or a PCIe slot.  There are only so many PCIe lanes to go around.

As for the adapter you linked, the JMB585 has been a very solid chipset for me (mine is a PCIe x4).  Always good to search/ask in the controller threadthat Hoopster linked in his post above.