Bypass shfs on cache-only smb shares

Spitko

Currently, even if a share is cache only, exporting it to smb will go through /mnt/user and therefore shfs.

shfs has some fairly well documented perf limitations in certain applications. I have a narrow case where this was problematic, so I build a ZFS pool specifically for these files, and it's been working great. However, I had to jump through some hoops to get there and it seems like something unraid could streamline relatively easily.

The proposal would be to simply bypass shfs if the share is targeting volumes which don't need it. In my use case, I'm targeting a ZFS pool, though ideally it would either detect all cases where shfs isn't in play, or simply give the user a checkbox to control this behavior. This lets users more easily establish high performance pools for the narrow cases where they're needed, while still taking advantage of shfs for the majority use case.

Currently, I've found workarounds via manually adding a share to the smb extras conf, but it shouldn't be necessary to do it this way.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...