Array with 2 Paritys has lost 2 Disks and one Parity has corrupted Data

Go to solution Solved by GK-ken,

Hi there,

I did a big mistake by accidentally unplugging 2 disks in standby when the Server was online. I didnt see that there was something wrong untill 3 days after it happend. Now after a reboot 2 disks were shown as "new", so I let them rebuild into the array but at the process of rebuilding the parity 1 had many read errors. The first try of rebuild stopped at 10% and didnt want to go further. The second try stopped at 60%. Is there a way to not lose the entire array of data to this?

diagnostics-20230408-1014.zip

Problem with parity looks more like a power/connection issue, replace cables (power and SATA) then you can try re-enabling parity and try again to rebuild the disks:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign the disks 2 and 3
-Start array (in normal mode now) and post new diagnostics.

27 minutes ago, GK-ken said:

Since Disk 2 is empty because UnRaid already wanted me to format the disk every time it rebootet in order to be mountable,

When a disk is unmountable formatting will always delete all data, if there's data there you should check filesystem instead.

28 minutes ago, GK-ken said:

does that mean I could try to do a new config in order to get the data that is on the parity disk to work again?

You could do a new config to get the data that was on the actual disk2, instead of the empty formatted emulated disk.

Parity has no data, disk2 is still disabled, so the actual disk should have the old data, at this point there's nothing to lose so go to Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply, then back on main, confirm all disks are assigned, check "parity is already valid" and start the array, post new diags after array start.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all your support. I got the array working again but now i have a new problem or many. Fox Common Problems says "Unable to write to disk2". My mover does nothing I can see. All my disks arent spinning down anytime and my disk setting is set to a 15 minute spin down delay. I would really like to find the problem myself, so i dont need to relate to others to solve my problem, but i dont really know how.

homepod-diagnostics-20230502-1904.zip

Did that, pressed the "spin down" button for all disks and the hdds didnt spin down. All cache drives are spun down. Active streams doesnt show any activity and open files just has one process named "find" that is up and shows some paths in the cache.