We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Remote Access to unRaid box

Juano11

I've got a great unRaid box that's been running perfectly now for over a year.  I backup all my PCs to it, it stores all my music, and hold 100s of ISOs from my ripped DVDs.

However I currently only use it for local streaming of files to my PCs, a PCH-C200, and a couple of TiVo boxes (running pyTivo  on my unRaid).  I'd like to have access to my media files when I am away from home without needing to have a second PC running at the house.

What is the best/easiest mway to accomplish this?  I had considered using dynDNS, but others have advised strongly against this.

When I saw that the Pogo Plug software was now free and with Linux support I had hoped that that would be a good solution, but I don't know how to go about getting that setup on unraid.  I know that I can run Pogo Plug on a separate PC and point it to my network shares, but that is a relatively inelegant and unreliable setup since the Windows PC may decide to restart or shut down sometime when I'm gone, leaving me unable to connect.

Does anyone else connect to their unRaid box while away from home?  I don't really care to manage the box remotely, I just want to be able to access my media files.

I've got a great internet connection 5 mb/s up with no data cap.  I do not have a static ip address.

Suggestions? Directions?

Many thanks

John

i see that more and more threads are advising against have the unRAID box facing the internet and i understand that it is not designed to do this.

BUT say that you want this to the box that is on the internet can we not start a thread from this or a idiots guide on how to harden the unRAID box and let secure remote access happen... ?

i am aware of securing your whole local lan and using vpn acess etc.

but what if i just want only this box facing the internet.

can there not be various types of software loaded to achieve on the unRAID box?

I agree with what was mentioned up above. If somebody took the time to right a "Correct" way of doing it, it would go a lot farther than don't do it at all. For sure you should use some kind of VPN.

I of course always default to don't do it, but I completely agree with your statement abs0lut.zer0

Looks like there is a big thread on it here.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7248

I might give this a try for fun. I was playing with it at work and I was purposely messing up on logins and man I was getting some serious spam to my email letting me know. I'm really likeing that feature. I haven't tried the unRAID version yet, but I guess the night is young. ;)

Event: Login failed

Source: Web Page

Account Holder: kizer@************.com

Company:

By: kizer@***************mail.com

At: 8/8/2011 11:57 PM

LogMeIn Account Holders can change notification email settings under Account > Security > Account Audit

• 2 weeks later...

Even I was dead inclined to use Unraid from my office and had to do a lot of head banging to get this done. Initially succeeded with port forwarding thing and I was able to access my box from office. But then it was termed to be too risky, even for ftp which is still considered to be secure. I finally went Hamachi way. It creates a VPN tunnel between my office PC and Unraid box, access to my network is on permission base. For ftp I had to port fw 21 there was no option, so to make it wee bit secure I configured OpenSSH and connect to ftp via the same. (port fw 22 is still required) Few things that can make the connection secure ...

1. Use a pretty complex password, non dictionary word with complex characters.

2. Use VPN like himachi or Open VPN

3. Use SSH

4. if possible use SSL as well for web access.

5. finally use dyndns.com services even if you do have a static public IP.

All this will pretty much secure you connection, obviously not 100% but its a calculated risk I'd say.

Regards

Sammy

There is always the hardware option.

Netgear and linksys/cisco make some decent small office routers with VPN built into them.

they are priced at a fairly reasonable price and can very secure and faster then himatchi

this would give you access to your entire network, not just  the unraid store.

i have a pfsense box running on a PIII Pentium 500MHZ from 1999 :)

it has 3 inbound internet providers and i can openvpn to it from wherever i can get an internet connection and be able to see all my machines

highly recommended

Now that i have some spare dual nic atom boards, i did want to look into this. any recommended links to check out?

There is always the hardware option.

Netgear and linksys/cisco make some decent small office routers with VPN built into them.

they are priced at a fairly reasonable price and can very secure and faster then himatchi

this would give you access to your entire network, not just  the unraid store.

Even Hamachi provides access to your entire network, not just Unraid Box. Hamachi Log me In acts like a Virtual LAN, and all the machines under that virtual lan can talk to each other, albeit if the creator of the network wants it that way.

How ever yes it might be true that routers with inbuilt VPN server might provide faster access. Though practically I have not seen hamachi as a bandwidth bottleneck as it was able to provide the max throughput per my ISPs bandwidth at both ends.

Archived