Unable to Mount drives after hardware change "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout"

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi, 

I have recently upgraded my server hardware. My old server had an older controller that could only read drives up to 2.2T not knowing this at the time i installed 4T drives as some of the replacements.  The server continued to work but only allowing me to access T2.2 of the 4T it was not an issue at the time as i was moving from 1T so it was still over double the storage. I recently migrated to a new server that sees all 4T adn because of this some drives came up as wrong. So i did a new config and mapped the drives manually now i'm gettig "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout" These drives can not be formatted they still have my data. How do i add them back to the Array?

I don't believe Parity is still valid I rebuilt the parity drive thinking I could not rebuild because more then 1 drive was not working 

- Also the parity drive was one of the drives that were the wrong size. 

Untitled.png

Edited by air250

It looks like one of my disks have gone bad in the migration and unfortunately it was not the one i started to rebuild I still have all drives -1 (the disk that failed) would it make sence to do a new config, put back the disk i was trying to change the portion size of and them try and migrate the failed drive. do you think that wold work? 

• Solution

Yes, disk2 is failing.

10 hours ago, air250 said:

would it make sence to do a new config, put back the disk i was trying to change the portion size of and them try and migrate the failed drive. do you think that wold work? 

It's wort a try:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including the new disk2 and old disk11, replacement disk2 should be same size or larger than the old one
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disk2
-Start array (in normal mode now) and post new diags.

• Like 1

Emulated disk2 is mounting, that's a good sign, you can now re-assign the new disk there to begin rebuilding, despite the previous errors during the rebuild disk11 should not have been damaged, since Unraid will skip any sectors that cannot successfully write due to read errors, so old data should be intact, and if all goes well with the rebuild you can then try gain to fix the partition issue.

11 hours ago, air250 said:

How should I go about remaining drives with the incorrect partition size. same process rebuilding the drive or is there a way to just resize the drive?

Same process, unassign one of those disks, start array and see if the emulated disk mounts, if yes and contents look correct rebuild on top, then repeat for the other disks.