xfs-formated external drive won't mount anywhere else but my on my Unraid system

I bought a large external drive to plug into my Unraid system as an Unassigned Device, to which I could make an external backup of my data. At first I kept the drive formatted as it was pre-formatted at time of purchase, with exFAT.

This worked fairly well, but wouldn't backup my symlinks. So I decided to trade the greater portability of exFAT for the symlink support of xfs, using my Unraid system itself to perform the reformatting.

I still expected to be able to unplug the drive and read it from other computers. So far, no luck. I can't read this drive from a Linux VM, from my Windows 11 system using Paragon Software's Linux file support, or from my Mac using macFUSE.

Is there something I'm missing here?

MbAyaeE.png

4 hours ago, RasterEyes said:

So far, no luck. I can't read this drive from a Linux VM, from my Windows 11 system using Paragon Software's Linux file support,

These should both work (they do for me) as Unraid sets up a standard Linux file system.    You could also try the SysInternals Linux Reader software for Windows to see if that works.   Not sure about what should work on the Mac side.

If you have Unassigned Devices plugin installed then NTFS might be a better alternative?