Questions about how Unraid handles ZFS with vdevs, pools (6.12 rc7)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

As I embark upon this new road with Unraid and ZFS, my knowledge is a bit scattered, and I'm looking for direction.  Please excuse the ignorance here, I'm a noob to Unraid, but my career is in networking and security.  I can follow directions well. :) 

I have general understanding of how ZFS is structured:  A pool consisting of vdevs which contain n number of disks.  

But as I just noticed when I setup my first ZFS pool there was no mention of creating a vdev in any of the settings.  So when I bring my new disks online (4x 16TB), I want to add them to the pool as a second vdev, but I'm not sure how to do this.  Like how do I let Unraid know those disks are the second vdev of the original pool.

And then let's imagine that they are part of the ZFS pool (I find out how to have 2 vdevs in 1 pool), I have a question about shares and file system use in general.  If I create a share, I would assume that it would just use both vdevs and share the load between them.  Is that the case with Unraid or am I missing something?  I definitely don't want 2 pools and then have to have my /appdata or /coolmemes shares split between them.  I want Unraid to think of all 8 disks as an entire pool that I can address with data structures.  

• Solution
28 minutes ago, yoleska said:

there was no mention of creating a vdev in any of the settings.

You can see/choose that by clicking on the first pool device at pool creation.

29 minutes ago, yoleska said:

So when I bring my new disks online (4x 16TB), I want to add them to the pool as a second vdev, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Stop array,  add all 4 devices to pool, start array, note the the new vdev has to be the same width as the exiting one(s), and due to a bug, at the moment you cannot add a vdev made of smaller drives, so make sure you start with the smaller ones if they are different capacity. 

32 minutes ago, yoleska said:

If I create a share, I would assume that it would just use both vdevs and share the load between them.

Correct. 

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I would like to create a one pool for all these drives using 6.12 rc8.  How do I do this in GUI or maybe in command line?

Thanks

5x3TB

9x4TB 

Thinking:

1) Using GUI to create a pool tank 5x3TB raidz

2) Using command line to add

zpool add tank raidz /dev/sdra1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1  (assume first 5x4TB)

zpool add tank raidz /dev/sdrf1 /dev/sdg1 /dev/sdh1 /dev/sdi1  (assume last 4x4TB)

Will this work? - any suggestions appreciated.

I try move a btrfs RAID0 pool to zfs raidz x2 pool in this way.

6x 12TB and 6x 14TB

One big difference observed vs btrfs pool, let say when filling over 144TB data (12x12TB), then data will sit on six 14TB. But zpool will stripe in weight to all 12 disks, (because both vdev in different capacity), as result seems will always use 12 disks.

But this only valid when pool was created before filling data, not for expansion vdev later on.

image.png

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 2:26 AM, JorgeB said:

Stop array,  add all 4 devices to pool, start array, note the the new vdev has to be the same width as the exiting one(s), and due to a bug, at the moment you cannot add a

Hi Jorge, do you know if this has been fixed as of the latest, 6.12.1? I've been having issues added a vdev of a smaller capacity to my zpool, unsure if due to user error or this bug still existing.