New Unraid user here: Updated with build info.

Juscuz17

And by new, I mean I haven't even installed it yet. I am waiting for my drives to arrive.

I am no computer genius, by any means, but I can usually get anything I need to accomplish.

I have been using a ReadyNAS 104 with 4 3TB HDDS. I am upgrading to a tower with 4 6TB HDDs at least to start. Is the lounge the place to post what my hardware, and my needs are for input? Or do I need to post in Hardware? I bought the ReadyNAS, installed the drives, turned it on and it did what I needed so I never went into plesk, or other apps that might have improved the way it worked. All I use it for is to serve media to other computers in the house. I plan to use this machine to serve and store media, and hopefully store the recordings from my security cameras. I went with a I7 2600k, but I don't want to get too far into that if it's the wrong section to post my questions in.

Edited by Juscuz17

OK!

I will start with the build.

Case Cooler Master N400

PSU Corsair RMx Series, RM850x 850W GOLD

Motherboard Asus Sabretooth P67

Processor I7 2600K

RAM 32GB Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Pro Series

CPU Cooler Arctic Freezer 13

Raid card 8 port 9211-8i 6G HBA LSI in IT mode

Icy dock 4 bay hot swap cage

2x 3.5 Seagate 6TB Enterprise NAS ST6000VN0001

4x 3.5 Hitachi 6TB Enterprise HUS726060ALA640

I also have

2x 1tb SSD I may use for cache.

1x WD 3TB that could go in the array.

4x 2 TB Hitachi Enterprise HDD that could go in the array.

4x 1 TB misc drives that I could also add to the array.

This will be replacing a ReadyNAS 104 with 4x 3TB drives

I have not decided if I am going to use the 104 as another NAS or put the drives in the new tower.

I use it to serve movies to my living room TV, and I also want to use it to save the video from my surveillance cameras.

Edited by Juscuz17
  • Juscuz17 changed the title to New Unraid user here: Updated with build info.
16 hours ago, Lolight said:

The case is not designed for sufficient air flow - bad news for HDD temps, especially when fully stuffed.

The PSU is junk.

Found the PSU list.

Well, off to Amazon.... List updated....

Edited by Juscuz17
  • Upvote 1

I agree, I am starting with the 6x 6TB drives first. My main goal is to get the data off the current NAS and those will more than do that.

I may add the 3TB drives after the migration, or simply buy more 6TB or bigger drives when I see deals.

What about the Cache drives? how big? do they have to be SSD? Do I want redundancy?

When I read some of the builds on here I am blown away. A 13th gen Intel build blows my trashy little 2nd gen I7 build out of the water.

13 hours ago, Juscuz17 said:

What about the Cache drives? how big? do they have to be SSD? Do I want redundancy?

When I read some of the builds on here I am blown away. A 13th gen Intel build blows my trashy little 2nd gen I7 build out of the water.

You'd definitely want a SSD(s) as a cache drive(s).

Depends on your priorities. It's up to you to make a decision on a single, multiple or mirrored drive setup for cache.

https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-6-9s-multiple-pools-support

There's nothing wrong with re-using older, but still sufficient for the task hardware.

But power consumption (efficiency) might become a major concern.

• Upvote 1

Personally I would never build with intel ever. That CPU has a pretty high TDP. Obviously it won't always be running at max power but if you care about your power bill, you might want to look at AMD. I also wouldn't buy scumbag ASUS after their last BS.

The ASRock X570M Pro4 is a super cheap, beast of a board in a micro form-factor. It's absolutely rock solid and will last you at least 5 years.

The Ryzen 3600 can be got for $50 and is a beast of a chip. It still has 6 cores and 12 threads. If you want something a bit newer and faster then there's the Ryzen 5600 for about $100-110. Both of which are between 33%-60% better than the Intel you listed and half to 33% less expensive, in addition to being a LOT newer.

If you can't find/don't want that board I think there's an X460 and B650 version of it too which are close to the same thing.

I wouldn't use a CPU released in 2011 and discontinued in 2013 even for security reasons dude.

Edited by plantsandbinary
On 7/1/2023 at 5:52 AM, plantsandbinary said:

Personally I would never build with intel ever. That CPU has a pretty high TDP. Obviously it won't always be running at max power but if you care about your power bill, you might want to look at AMD. I also wouldn't buy scumbag ASUS after their last BS.

The ASRock X570M Pro4 is a super cheap, beast of a board in a micro form-factor. It's absolutely rock solid and will last you at least 5 years.

The Ryzen 3600 can be got for $50 and is a beast of a chip. It still has 6 cores and 12 threads. If you want something a bit newer and faster then there's the Ryzen 5600 for about $100-110. Both of which are between 33%-60% better than the Intel you listed and half to 33% less expensive, in addition to being a LOT newer.

If you can't find/don't want that board I think there's an X460 and B650 version of it too which are close to the same thing.

I wouldn't use a CPU released in 2011 and discontinued in 2013 even for security reasons dude.

I like Intel, and AMD, and I have had great success with both. I chose this hardware because I have $100 into the MB, 32GB of ram, the CPU, and the freezer13 cooler. If I have a power or heat problem I may try a i7 3770T. I have a readyNAS, it does nothing more than store media, no apps running, just plain old storage. A FX-8320 Would easily run the simple machine I need, heck a Core2Quad would handle simple file serving. I like the idea of building my own NAS, I like everything I have read about Unraid. If I learn all about apps, VMs, and Dockers and I find that I need a more robust hardware set I will upgrade.  This is a cheap experiment. I don't really care whose rear end ASUS broke it off in. I am actually a Gigabyte fan for MOBOs. IT WAS CHEAP! I have never been an ASRock fan, I always thought they were a cheap knock off. I will take your advice and look into those, but for now I will stick with my CAN (Cheap Ass NAS) build.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:19 AM, Juscuz17 said:

My main goal is to get the data off the current NAS and those will more than do that.

Why not keep the old NAS and use the new one as the main unit.  The old NAS becomes your backup.  Use Vorta or Duplicati or whatever backup software you want to back up the data to the other NAS.  Obviously you'll have limited space so you just need to decide what gets backed up.  At some point you might want to just convert that whole thing into another unRAID machine.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:54 AM, Juscuz17 said:

I like Intel, and AMD, and I have had great success with both. I chose this hardware because I have $100 into the MB, 32GB of ram, the CPU, and the freezer13 cooler. If I have a power or heat problem I may try a i7 3770T. I have a readyNAS, it does nothing more than store media, no apps running, just plain old storage. A FX-8320 Would easily run the simple machine I need, heck a Core2Quad would handle simple file serving. I like the idea of building my own NAS, I like everything I have read about Unraid. If I learn all about apps, VMs, and Dockers and I find that I need a more robust hardware set I will upgrade.  This is a cheap experiment. I don't really care whose rear end ASUS broke it off in. I am actually a Gigabyte fan for MOBOs. IT WAS CHEAP! I have never been an ASRock fan, I always thought they were a cheap knock off. I will take your advice and look into those, but for now I will stick with my CAN (Cheap Ass NAS) build.

Man I take issue with so many of your comments but whatever. Different strokes for different folks.

What I will say though is that every single motherboard manufacturer, especially Asus and Gigabyte have totally collapsed in quality in the last 3-4 years. Asus is the #1 scumbag manufacturer now in practically every respect. Gigabyte has dropped right off a cliff and competes with Asus now in bad policies and QA. I would say they aren't distinguishable in this regard. Unlike you I've only ever had issues with Gigabyte and always found them to charge another $100 for the exact same features as any other brand, just because "it's Gigabyte". The only thing I'll give them points for, are their amazing aftermarket GPUs and long warranty policies and amazing cooling on those. In the MB department though, nope.

ASRock on the other hand have consistently shipped quality over and over. They're the most slept on company in the business. ASRock has competed brutally and unfailingly to try and stand up to the other companies. They've done this by having extremely good support, warranty policies and most importantly, unfailing hardware. Their motherboards are absolutely world class and come with so many extra features that most people can't live without when they get used to them. Where Asus tries to push garbage on you like their atrocious "Armoy Crate" and then totally ignores you on their support forum when you're getting constant crashes because of it, and Gigabyte and MSI bundle their motherboards with garbage middle/bloatware. ASRock focuses on stability. They've consistently been one of the first manufacturers to fully support new CPU architectures and release consistent BIOS updates even for extremely old hardware. Furthermore, they are specifically also focusing on niché users, in eg. making the ONLY mATX X570 board on the market. For people looking at smaller builds, this is HUGE. At the risk of sounding like a sales pitch, I HIGHLY encourage you to drop whatever predisposition you have toward them.

As for Intel. I'd boycott Israel literally anywhere I can, for personal reasons. That's before we even talk about their terrible track record for exploits and security holes. Which is again even before we talk about their totally delusional pricing and insanely high temps compared to AMD. I mean sure if you know you absolutely need 24 cores or something, by all means pay the insane asking price for Intel. If you want far better power efficiency and much better price:performance ratio. AMD is the choice, no question. As I said, you can get a monster of an AMD chip for only fifty bucks which will crush that Intel chip of yours. On top of that, AMD boards have for a long time been far more stable, cheaper overall and generally come with better features. AMD boards were the first with 2.5G Ethernet, to not share lanes with CPU etc. But sure, I guess none of this matters if you are building an ultra-budget IDGAF-build.

I don't really care whose rear end _____ broke it off in.

Lmfao. I am stealing this quote.

Anyway enjoy your build dude. When you want better and more reliable components, refer to the first post I made.

Edited by plantsandbinary
  • Like 1