DOCKER PULL EXTRACT SLOW SOME CONTAINERS NOT UPDATING

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I've been using Unraid for ever! But since a couple of updates ago I've noticed slowness when updating/pulling docker containers. It appears to happen on the Extracting stage of the layers and it's directly correlated to the layer size (larger layer == longer extract time). It's gotten bad enough where I can't update some of my containers.

I'm not sure where to start for troubleshooting this.  (running 6.12.2). 

Diagnostics attached

unraid-diagnostics-20230708-1028.zip

• Solution

The docker image exists on the array (share Data).  There is a huge speed penalty for this.  You really should put it into the system share instead which will create it on the cache pool.  (Settings - Docker.  Stop the service.  Delete the image, then change it's location to /mnt/user/system.  Renable the service then Apps, Previous Apps and check off what you had installed - all your appdata will be fine and it will be like nothing happened except for a nice speed increase)

21 hours ago, Squid said:

The docker image exists on the array (share Data).  There is a huge speed penalty for this.  You really should put it into the system share instead which will create it on the cache pool.  (Settings - Docker.  Stop the service.  Delete the image, then change it's location to /mnt/user/system.  Renable the service then Apps, Previous Apps and check off what you had installed - all your appdata will be fine and it will be like nothing happened except for a nice speed increase)

What a RUSH!!!  Thank you Squid!  My starship is fully capable of reaching warp 10 now with ease!   Seriously, I'm not sure how I managed to get my docker image on the array in the first place, but after following your excellent instructions to the letter, Success!  I have to admit it felt like a leap of faith but after seeing those containers re-populate, well, you should have seen the grin on my face.  One small issue is a custom network deleted itself during the process, but was a simple fix.   You made my day sir!   Thank you again.