[SOLVED][Bug Network Settings] IPv4 / IPv6 DNS Settings

Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

Hi Guys :)

I just want to know why I cant setup a static DNS Adress when IP is configured to static on unraid Webinterface ?
Same goes with IPv6...

I can only change it to static DNS if Address configuration is automatic / DHCP ?
I thought DNS configuration is seperated from IP configuration, so it doesnt matter if IP is set to DHCP or static to change DNS settings ? :o

have a nice day!

Edited by MisterT
changed title - solved

I think you are getting something wrong.

You can only set DNS entries for ETH0, because these are global for all interfaces. And you can set them only if you use static settings, not DHCP (just the other way round from your posting).

The GUI is a bit misleading, you THINK you can set DNS for every interface, but that is wrong.

(DNS is a high level service, it works above routing, so you can use any address here, including external ones. Would not make much sense if you set it to 1.1.1.1 on ETH0 and to 8.8.8.8 on ETH1, both would be contacted using the default gateway which can only be reached over ONE interface)

I only have eth0 on my unraid, but good to know - make sense :D

Yep I know coz DHCP gives you DNS entrys anyway.

But I fully agree your post but on my Server (Unraid 6.12.3) I cant change to static DNS on static IP (like I said in first post).

Watch Screenshots:

1.thumb.png.e8718d2990e3820a7737735d0992662b.png

This is my current IPv4 config... (DNS server is fixed to automatic)

When I change IPv4 Address config to automatic:

2.thumb.png.903a3608b5663dae4a6fe235ceced366.png

I can change DNS Servers...

But If I switch back IPv4 Address config to static:

3.thumb.png.cbbc148342716994060b92743cbe30ab.png

DNS Address config is fixed to static (like you said) - BUT If I setup my DNS Server here and save it...

The Settings will fall back like in Screenshot 1 and "/etc/resolv.conf" is empty also...

For now: I am using my current IPv4 Settings (Screenshot 1) with a startup script (using go file on flash device) - which replace complete resolv.conf with my correct DNS Servers and domains after complete startup.

Edited by MisterT
  • MisterT changed the title to [Bug Network Settings] IPv4 / IPv6 DNS Settings
  • MisterT changed the title to [SOLVED][Bug Network Settings] IPv4 / IPv6 DNS Settings