Looking to buy my first UPS...any advice?

mr_cb7

Hey Guys,

Just got my power back a few hours ago after my neighborhood got the tail end of hurricane Irene.  The storm not only took out my electricity but also temporarily screwed up my UnRaid sever which I was transferring data to at the time (hrs of parity Sync-ing).  I have been meaning to invest in a decent UPS for awhile but never found the time, well now is the time I think.  I'm not looking for a fancy high output UPS since my server doesn't consume a lot of electricity. I Just want something decent, efficient and able to work with the Unraid OS and power my server long enough for it to do a clean shutdown when the power goes out.

Anybody have any ideas where i should start looking? APC, Cyberpower?

Thanks for your time

I would go with the first one personally.

that should give you maximum compatability with unraid and plenty of run time.

that way if you only have a 5-10 min power fail. you dont even need to shut down the server.

of course that will depend your server draw.

remember, for a clean shutdown. unRAID wakes all your your sleeping drives does a quick sync then starts the power down. that is a pretty good power draw just to shut down and can take several min.

You can thank me later:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Power_Surge/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=A1833724&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=7&baynote_irrank=0

The link is for Canada. I believe Dell ships for free... and fast.

This is 550VA model - it is perfectly adequate for your system as it is now but it may be limited to 10-12 drives system and slightly less if you connect your modem and router.

I you decide on higher power and can wait DELL has some deals from time to time (and I believe with free shipping).

And if you want to buy now then check out this - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101311

Also i have been checking reviews on the models I listed above and many of the negative ones regarding APC models have people saying newer Power Supply units on Pc's that have Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) will not work with APC UPS? Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for all the posts guys!

they are usually lead acid.

they last 3-5 years on the average. sometimes you can get a little longer out of them. it depends on how you store them. use them and how many times they go off.

prices varry for a 1000, expect 40-60 bucks to replace. some places give you a credit for your old battery to save more cash.

Also i have been checking reviews on the models I listed above and many of the negative ones regarding APC models have people saying newer Power Supply units on Pc's that have Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) will not work with APC UPS? Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for all the posts guys!

Yes and No - I have an APC unit without Active PFC. If My power goes out and the APC kicks in, the servers PSU begins buzzing, but still works fine. Apparently this should be avoided for hours on end, but seeing as I only need the time to call up the web guy and power it down, I have not had any problems yet.