Solved - Drive marked Unmountable Wrong or no filesystem

Go to solution Solved by Drezzden865,

Hello i have had my Unraid running for 2-3 years now and check my drive health quite often and yesterday when i checked it their where ZERO errors and temps where good at 95. Today with out the device crashing or power loss all my docker apps stopped working and i logged in remotely to see what wast up. in the Docker section i have no apps and it stated No Docker Containers Installed. I then checked the main tab and found that Drive 2 stated Unmountable Wrong or no filesystem ( this is a 6 TB drive that had about 4TB on it) i attempted to resolve by restarting the device. I then attempted a repair via starting the array in maintenance mode this failed and did nothing that i could tell. I then removed the drive and tried to re-add the drive which now shows formatted. I was able to get the array started again with out the drive.
My issue is what could have caused this and how do i rebuild the drive from the parity.

Note- I have a larger drive that i plan swapping for the Parity drive and rotate the 8tb parity drive to replace the 6tb i just haven't done it. it just came in this weekend.demonreachunrai-diagnostics-20230802-1548.zip

Attached are what I'm seeing and I am really worried i just lost 2-3 years of setting up programs and tools.

Please help. Going crazy here.

Screenshot_20230802_162053_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230802_164012_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230802_164019_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Drezzden865

You mention starting in maintenance mode, but you don't specifically mention running a repair on the disk while in maintenance mode. Wish you had asked for help sooner.

Since you formatted disk2 in the array, the only thing that can be rebuilt from parity is a formatted drive. Format is never part of rebuild.

Do you have backups?

• 2 weeks later...

So i that was a dumb idea to format and i shouldnt have but i did start the rebuild and it ran for a couple hours and started showing the same error on the disk. So i replaced the disk with a new larger disk last night. it started the rebuild. Today when i woke up i received notice that the disk failed and was disabled. i now have the same 

Disk 2ST8000VN004-3CP101_WWZ2NL03 - 8 TB (sde) Unmountable: Wrong or no file system

I don't know what to do. I'm thinking I might change the drive port on the motherboard maybe the port has gone bad. I feel I'm grasping at straws at this point. 

image.thumb.png.f43109a57f5f5c2641c43388c72ef909.png

Edited by Drezzden865
  • Drezzden865 changed the title to [Solved] Drive marked Unmountable Wrong or no filesystem
  • 3 months later...

So Update.

I have replaced the PDU with a 1050w unit but in the ordeal i ended up having to replace the motherboard and CPU.

Which caused my Lic to fall off and i lost alot of my configs as well and my server name. I was able to reach out to UNRAID and get my License readded.

While i was doing this i added another 32g of RAM and a 2tb M.2. I also attempted to swap out the 8tb Parity drive to a 12tb as well as purchased 2 additional 12 tb to change out the drives causing issue.

I put in the new M.2 and copied everything over and moved all the shares to the new catche and i was pretty sure Docker. When i changed the PDU i took the old Cache out of the tower and installed one of the 12tb drives to replace the parity with the original still attached.

Upon power on, in the software i swapped the parity drive from the current 8th to the new 12 tb and moved the 8tb into the place of disk1 that was not showing at all in the raid anymore. Both rebuilt and it all 8 disks were green.

When finished my Docker wouldn't start, when checking my system the docker was still pointing to the old Parity drive. The system wouldn't let me remap it, every time i would go to apply it would just revert back. Disks one and two are still showing Unmountable: Wrong or no file system. Also all of my shares are missing in the software.  i took the system down removed the disk one a plugged to old Cache drive in its place. I then turned the tower back on, it is now showing that the old cache drive is back installed and the new M.2 is showing as well. The the old 8 tb Parity drive (that should be the new disk1) is showing up as showing up as the the parity drive and the 12 tb drive is not showing up at all.

I attempted to run the script from before and was informed that the file did not exist.

my shares are still not showing up and Docker is still not starting.

I have turned the tower off and checked all connections. and the 12tb device is still now showing back up, but it turns out not all the sata connectors on the Motherboard work. and i dont have any available ports. When i plug the 12tb in again the system started rebuilding the drives again.

Edited by Drezzden865
  • Drezzden865 changed the title to Drive marked Unmountable Wrong or no filesystem

tower-diagnostics-20231128-1009.zip

@JorgeB and @trurl He are the most recent Diagnostics. The rebuild of the Parity drive completed again and the disk1 rebuilt again as well. Both Disks 1 and 2 are still showing  the filing system error. My Docker still wont start or update the file path and the shares are still missing i worry that i have just lost all my data.

Edited by Drezzden865

Check filesystem on disk1 and disk2, be sure to capture the output so you can post it.

1 hour ago, Drezzden865 said:

worry that i have just lost all my data

The other disks seem to have plenty of data, user shares will probably work again after you get disk1 and disk2 filesystems repaired.

You must always have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable. Parity is not a substitute for backup.

@JorgeB I will run that tonight and if it works ill do the update. Or should i do the update first?

@trurl All the important data is backed up in other places and i have a record of everything on there is just alot of data to replace.

What about getting the shares back and access to the data again?
What do i do about the Docker not letting me change the path to the new cache drive?

Thank you Both for assisting

What about getting the shares back and access to the data again?

4 hours ago, trurl said:

user shares will probably work again after you get disk1 and disk2 filesystems repaired

Docker not letting me change the path to the new cache drive?

Disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings until user shares are working again. We can take another look then 

Any idea how long it will take to Check the Filesystem on a tb drive. I triggered the scan without the -n on disk1 and it instantly told me

{

Phase1 - Find and verify superblock...

Bad Primary Superblock - -Bad macgic number !!!

Attempting to find secondary superblock....

}

It has been sitting ther stating running for about 4 hours now

attached is the result and nothing seems to have changed

Disk 1 and 2 Check logs.txt

Edited by Drezzden865