Is a 23.2 MB/sec file transfer rate normal?

I am running the latest version of UnRaid on a SuperMicro motherboard. All the hard drives in my UnRaid array are connected to onboard SATA ports. Including an IcyDock 3.5" drive bay rack I use to a mount a data drive from my other computer once it gets close to full capacity.  I also have installed a Linux Mint vm to facilitate file transfers from my drive bay rack to my UnRaid Array. 

I hope somebody in this forum can clarify the following.  Is a 23.2 MB/sec file transfer rate normal? I ask because to transfer 5 TB of data from the drive in my bay rack to my UnRaid Array is taking close to 60 hours. Additionally, the file transfer is getting done via a SMB connection. This makes no sense to me.  Why is UnRaid using a Samba connection to perform this file transfer that is local on the same machine? Does UnRaid have an option where I could change the Samba protocol with another protocol that offers higher file transfer bandwidth? 

Lastly, my UnRaid Array has two parity drives and I realize these parity drives slow down the data writing process involved in file transfers.  But I would really like to know if a 23.2 MB/sec file transfer speed should be considered as normal or am I correct to suspect my file transfer speed is way too slow?   Any advice welcome.

Thank you for your posts. JorgeB, if the typical speed is 50/60MB/sec then I have to say my UnRaid file transfer speed is too slow and I need to perform some kind of reconfiguration work to my UnRaid box.  My hard drives are 14TB Seagates EXOS X14 Enterprise drives. I looked at the data sheet online and it makes no mention of SMR. So I can't say for sure if they are SMR or not.  As for the "turbo write enabled" setting I will have to look into that because it is the first time I hear about it.

Trurl, to answer your question I have Unassigned Devices Plus installed. And I use this plugin app to mount my data transfer drive which I insert into my IcyDock drive bay rack.  I'm new with Unassigned Devices, but am I missing something that Unassigned Devices can do that goes beyond how I am using it?  How can it eliminate the need to use a Linux Mint VM? I ask because I use my Linux Mint VM to perform the file transfer itself.  In my Linux Mine VM I could select the files I want to transfer to my UnRaid Array,  Or I can rename or delete files from my UnRaid Array.  Trurl, what do you use to perform such file management operations? In short, I hope you can elaborate why you are not clear a VM is needed. If there is a better way, please let me know especially if it can bump up my file transfer speed. 

I can say my Linux Mint VM makes my UnRaid box more user friendly by providing a great GUI.  What I do not understand is why my Linux Mint treats a data transfer hard drive that is local inside the same UnRaid box as though it is on a network that requires a Samba connection to transfer files. Like I said, I am new with UnRaid. I would think the connection between my UnRaid array and Icydock bay rack drive should be a direct SATA connection that is managed by my Linux Mint VM without using a Samba connection.  I hope somebody can clarify my confusion.

19 hours ago, OneArtist1 said:

I'm new with Unassigned Devices, but am I missing something that Unassigned Devices can do that goes beyond how I am using it?

Unassigned Devices can mount many filesystems, then you can access the contents directly from Unraid at /mnt/disks

16 hours ago, itimpi said:

For file Management purposes it is easiest to use the Dynamix File Manager plugin so you can do it from the Unraid GUI.