Server goes unresponsive daily, but still responds to pings

flyize
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Nothing obvious in the partial log posted, I would recommend posting the complete syslog, some issues are known to leave call traces days before crashing.

Went ahead and removed email addresses. Here it is. Thank you so much for any help.

Edited by flyize

Unfortunately there's still nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Unfortunately there's still nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

My friends and family will kill me. :D 

Wait, I just realized that I added a second NVMe for appdata a couple of weeks ago. It's been totally stable, but maybe that's it. I'll remove it. Then try to run memtest. Anything else I can 'actively' run to try and figure out the issue more quickly? 

edit: Wait, how do I remove the mirrored NVMe?

Edited by flyize

Actually now that I think about it, the server is *not* crashing as it responds to pings. Also, one time that I was able to login to the PiHole docker, it showed CPU and RAM maxed. 

So this doesn't seem like it could be hardware. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to run top or anything to see what's using all those resources.

I'm assuming you're on 6.12, correct? If so, try 6.11.5.

Lots of people, myself included can't go a day on 6.12 without it doing this exact sort of thing. Have to do a hard reboot, then it works for a little while again.

I've tried each version of 6.12 and always end up back on 6.11.5 where I have no issues. 

52 minutes ago, shaunvis said:

I'm assuming you're on 6.12, correct? If so, try 6.11.5.

Lots of people, myself included can't go a day on 6.12 without it doing this exact sort of thing. Have to do a hard reboot, then it works for a little while again.

I've tried each version of 6.12 and always end up back on 6.11.5 where I have no issues. 

I'm kinda out of ideas. It's been running fine for weeks until this.

Yep, I'm running it now. Hopefully I can report back tomorrow that its still up and running.

I still think it has to be some memory leak somewhere causing OOM to kill everything. That would explain the one time I was able to get into PiHole and see CPU/memory maxed. And sometimes the Home Assistant VM was still available. And *every* time, I could ping it.