Docker Containers Not Updating

I have a handful of Docker containers that have stopped updating as of a few weeks ago. When I go to apply the update, there are no obvious points of failure - the old container is stopped and removed successfully, and the new one installed. But the "update ready" prompt remains.

This is happening on a few containers. I found one solution was to update the DNS to use Google's DNS servers, so I tried that. I also tried removing the container manually and reinstalling it from previously installed apps. I was able to get a few of the containers to work properly after these two steps, but there are a couple that even when removing and reinstalling, just refuse to update.

All three are containers from Linuxserver.io.

• Calibre
  • Calibre-web
  • Overseerr

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

excelsior-diagnostics-20231023-0521.zip

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I decided to go a step further with the DNS settings and updated my router's DNS to Google's DNS servers. So, now both Unraid and my router have Google's DNS.

This seems to have fixed the issue. There was one docker container I needed to delete and reinstall, but the process is fairly quick and didn't require me to set everything up from scratch. Outside of that, so far so good.

I'll update this thread if I run into more problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 1:00 AM, PsionStorm said:

UPDATE: I decided to go a step further with the DNS settings and updated my router's DNS to Google's DNS servers. So, now both Unraid and my router have Google's DNS.

This seems to have fixed the issue. There was one docker container I needed to delete and reinstall, but the process is fairly quick and didn't require me to set everything up from scratch. Outside of that, so far so good.

I'll update this thread if I run into more problems.

sadly this still isn't working for me and I can't find a solution...

I used Pihole for DNS, which used Quad9. I changed DNS back over to my router that uses 8.8.8.8. tried updating the docker images, still nothing. I've tried removing the images and re-adding them from templates. nothing. I have plenty of space on my docker image....idk i'm kinda at a loss here.

7 hours ago, javinp said:

sadly this still isn't working for me and I can't find a solution...

I used Pihole for DNS, which used Quad9. I changed DNS back over to my router that uses 8.8.8.8. tried updating the docker images, still nothing. I've tried removing the images and re-adding them from templates. nothing. I have plenty of space on my docker image....idk i'm kinda at a loss here.

My fix seems to have been temporary anyhow. Some containers are no longer updating again.

• 1 month later...

Is the issue still happening for you?  I find it hard to believe that Unraid would want to force everyone to use 8.8.8.8 as their dns resolver.  I use my gateway, which then points to Cloudflare on 1.1.1.1.  It would be nice to hear someone from the team chime in if this is a known bug or something they may be tracking.

Unfortunately, many routers for some weird unknown issues have problems resolving requests from clients.  This can result in what you're seeing.

Unraid does not force anyone to use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) as the resolver.  You can set the addresses in Network Settings to be anything you want (I'm a fan of OpenDNS - 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) including CloudFare (1.1.1.1)

Another issue that does come up from time to time is that on occasion (this seems to lately happen to ghcr repositories) is that the checksums reported by ghcr when checking for updates are actually incorrect.  This results in ghcr telliing Unraid / Docker that an update is available, but there may not actually be one (Resulting in a 0 byte pull).  This issue is purely GitHub's (owned by Microsoft) and nothing to do with Unraid at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having this issue also

I noticed a week or so ago that a few containers permanently said "apply update"
I applied the update, everything seemed to go fine, but then they would still say "apply update"

image.thumb.png.47374381ebdb00d62af72526d0c65b37.png

it certainly seems to be updating images - and after the docker run command all completes succesfully

image.png.22c094c393bebd0e08d480c91cfc5da4.png

UI still shows an update pending

image.png.b7f158d883fc00604ab72e85fc7f9db6.png

if I re-run the update, it pulls the same 5 updated images, reports success - and rinse and repeat

this is growing now - it was originally readarr and calibre, now qbittorrentvpn and mediaelch too

I've also tried installing the update from the apps page - which does the exact same thing, downloads 5 new images, reports success, still shows update required.

My DNS has been set to cloudflare always, but this obviously isn't a DNS issue as it resolves, and isn't a bad checksum issue as there are updated images to pull.. Not sure if there's some other logs I could check somewhere?

Edited by PhilBarker
  • 2 weeks later...

extracting.thumb.png.4089d918e1a7dc0ef6227c691928c4c0.pngPhil Barker if you look at the screenshot you posted updating qbittorrentvpn you will notice that the last line is extracting a 266mb image and it never gets to PULL COMPLETE (like as if the task has a timeout too short) and continues on to finish the whole task even though the last image never completed extracted.

This is where the problem is and I have several containers with the same problem and it always seems to happen if one of the image lines has something over 200+ mb that it needs to extract!!

Anyone know how to solve this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have similar problem. About 1-2 hours after updating container it usually comes up with notification that update is ready. When I update it again it pulls 0 bytes and recreates container. Its pretty annoying. I'm using Uniraid 6.12.8 and I remember seeing this problem back in 2023.

Edited by Antoni Żabiełowicz

The only way I have found to update containers that fail to complete the update directly from UNRAID is to install the portainer container and use that to update the problematic containers.

(Inside portainer, container, find the one you want to update and choose recreate, selecting pull latest image.)

Once portainer completes its job for the container in question, go back to update in UNRAID (still showing as needing to update) and run it for the container, since it doesn't have to download anything it finalises the update marking it up-to-date.

1389759524_Screenshot2024-03-22at00_16_35.png.df12386568f7e122420f0a8362015d31.png

I have/had this same issue. For me its only Home Assistant and none of my .arr containers.

-I updated HA 3 times, couldn't notice anything failing.

-Removed it along with deleting the image.

-Reinstalled and pulled with the saved template, it took a longgg time to pull, and it didn't run normally. When going to start the new container, it said local image not found, then below that went to pull some more, but now line by line. It finally finished and then all the text that was out of place disappeared, and it looked like a normal install again.

-Then it gave the update not available under status, with the broken link symbol.

-Ran check all containers for updates, and now it's (knock on wood) back to normal. Says up to date with green check mark.