Big issue, unraid limited to write speed of a single SSD compared to Windows Server?

Need to try and hit the hay earlier so I get more than 5 hrs sleep today, fresh diagnostics. Haven't made any progress trying various other things like buffer and io tuning disable for single channel speed. Maybe they'll reveal something. I could set up teaming on my switch but I can't imagine that's necessary for multichannel.

Kind of thinking maybe I should do a fresh start on the usb again?

quantaserver-diagnostics-20231221-2040.zip

Edited by JunctionRunner
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Write speeds to SSD's are not quite predicable as one might think.  While I am not expert, I did do a bit of research and here are two things that I did find.  That point is that you have to consider is that writing to an SSD may be considerably slower that the specs would lead you to believe.  (This never becomes an issue when using a 1GB network as the speed moves up to 2.5Gb and 10Gb, it may be a bigger factor than one might think...)

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/210492-extremetech-explains-how-do-ssds-work

and

Edited by Frank1940

That's fair, but this is still definitely falling under the issue of SMB multichannel not working, since I know 100% I can fire up windows on this machine and get full 10 gig speeds. 

I haven't tried that for hundreds of GB yet no, but for the amount I'm testing with definitely, obviously with more data it will choke eventually.

Looks like there is an iscsi plugin that lets you create shares for unraid, so that would let me in theory put the array and cache as two "physical" drives in the VM and bypass SMB entirely to feed em into drivepool.

There are also some 7mm SLC drives out there but only up to 800gb, I was looking at those and who knows, maybe still sometime.

@JorgeB I just stumbled across an old comment of yours that stated that unraid needs each nic to have a different ip address for SMB multichannel to work, is that still the case? That's a) something that seems stupid and b) a potential good explanation, I only enabled bonding, I didn't try and set a second static ip or anything for it. Think it mentioned a different subnet being required too?

Not sure if that means on windows I would have to run a second om3 cable and also set up an ip on a different subet for that. That would definitely be annoying and stupid.... I think I do have a spare cable long enough though.

Edited by JunctionRunner
  • 2 weeks later...

Tiny half update, trying a couple things from a support request thread, but this just happened and not too sure what's going in.

This is really, really weird but it seems like briefly I got an smb multichannel connection but not.. fully?

I set my two 10gbe connections to x.x.1.225 and x.x.1.226 (so same subnet), and added the interfaces capability rss line from smb performance tuning. Then, I wasn't able to connect by using the hostname, but I was able to connect through the ip directly and to the cache I got over 1GB/s, a couple times, I mapped the drive using the ip address, and got a much slower speed.

I still couldn't see it in powershell but in terminal I did see a third connection during that transfer, and now it won't establish that again, so it's like it kicked on for a second somehow...
screenshot_1548.thumb.jpg.49476287b637b4b294b421feb66ba3be.jpgscreenshot_1549.thumb.jpg.163a3eaef1041385b1fe49f636b77846.jpg
anyways, that just gave me a massive migrane confusing the hell out of me but I wanted to share this.

I think at least maybe I'm kind of closer today? Testing with different subnets did not work