Setup 10 gbps PCI card / stuck at 1000 mbps

Keint

Hello :)

today I upgrade my ethernet connection ... 
I just install a Dual 10 gbps PCI card on my unraid:

X540-T2 Intel X540 Chipset PCIe x8 touristes Cuivre RJ45 10Gbps Port 

Unraid see the card, I connect the card to my 2.5 GPBS switch and I can see the unraid is connected on 1000 Mbps  ...

Is it because I connect to the 2.5 GB port on my Switch ?  On the 10 GBPS NIC it doesn't work at all ... ( I use a SFP+ RJ45 adaptor)

Did I miss something ?

Any idea ?

Thanks !!!

Capture d’écran 2023-12-29 à 12.55.18.png

Capture d’écran 2023-12-29 à 12.59.27.png

Capture d’écran 2023-12-29 à 12.59.19.png

Capture d’écran 2023-12-29 à 12.59.11.png

Capture d’écran 2023-12-29 à 12.59.00.png

tower-diagnostics-20231229-1300.zip

Edited by Keint

Yeah, you need a 10G switch to connect these cards. The switch can pace down to 2.5 on other ports.

(and curious: why do you use 4 nics in a bond??? thats overkill and surely will get troubles)

and, before you complain about the "stupid" cards. they are perfectly ok. 2.5G does not exist, its a marketing gag/fake. Although currently hyped.

10M,100M,1G,10G,25G,40G and 100G are "legal" speeds a card has to support

Edited by MAM59
On 12/29/2023 at 1:19 PM, JorgeB said:

AFAIK those NICs don't support 2.5GbE, so it's normal they will link at gigabit.

On 12/29/2023 at 5:37 PM, MAM59 said:

Yeah, you need a 10G switch to connect these cards. The switch can pace down to 2.5 on other ports.

(and curious: why do you use 4 nics in a bond??? thats overkill and surely will get troubles)

and, before you complain about the "stupid" cards. they are perfectly ok. 2.5G does not exist, its a marketing gag/fake. Although currently hyped.

10M,100M,1G,10G,25G,40G and 100G are "legal" speeds a card has to support

Thanks for your answer !

You were right, 2.5 wasn't supported; I plug with to the 10 gbps port and I ve got 10000mbps now :)
On my switch I ve got 4x 2.5 and 2 SPF+ 10 Gbps, that why I tried the 2.5 gbps; My internet router got only 1 x 2.5 gbps out  ...

and curious: why do you use 4 nics in a bond??? thats overkill and surely will get troubles)

Actually I don t really know; I ve got on my mother board super micro 3 ethernet; I use one for service, and I disconnected the 2 other to plug the PCI 10 gbps card now.

What do you suggest me ? To remove the bonding? To be honest I don t really know what for is it 😅

Thanks again for your help !

Capture d’écran 2024-01-02 à 21.37.15.png

9 hours ago, Keint said:

What do you suggest me ? To remove the bonding? To be honest I don t really know what for is it 😅

Yeah, disable bonding on every nic.

"good for" ? Bonding is also called "link aggregation". You take more than one (usually 2) NIC and group them together (the other side, the switch, has to know about this and support this too) and they either "sum up" or "jump in if the first line fails" depending on the chosen mode. You have chosen "active backup" which means that only one (the first) card will be used until the connection breaks (you have forced this by unplugging the card). Then the next one takes over, same procedure happens, the third trys and so on until it finds a card with a cable.

Sounds good, but is not really a hit. The target always has to be the same switch. So, no matter how much cards you use, there is always still a single point of potential failure, the switch.

And yeah 2, you did it right. With these cheap 2.5+sfp switches you get it to run and it even cures the potential pacing problem (stuttering on long transfers) because the switch can handle the stuff internally.

One more note: "these cheap switches" cannot really run fully at 10G speed. They will transfer between 5G to 6.5G max between the ports. This is because they internally use PCIe 2.0 chips that are not capable to go faster. But this is a minor problem and the gain is much less heat dissipation so that these switches can work "fanless". Just do not expect to see 1,1Gb/s between the SFP+ ports.

4 hours ago, MAM59 said:

Yeah, disable bonding on every nic.

"good for" ? Bonding is also called "link aggregation". You take more than one (usually 2) NIC and group them together (the other side, the switch, has to know about this and support this too) and they either "sum up" or "jump in if the first line fails" depending on the chosen mode. You have chosen "active backup" which means that only one (the first) card will be used until the connection breaks (you have forced this by unplugging the card). Then the next one takes over, same procedure happens, the third trys and so on until it finds a card with a cable.

Sounds good, but is not really a hit. The target always has to be the same switch. So, no matter how much cards you use, there is always still a single point of potential failure, the switch.

And yeah 2, you did it right. With these cheap 2.5+sfp switches you get it to run and it even cures the potential pacing problem (stuttering on long transfers) because the switch can handle the stuff internally.

One more note: "these cheap switches" cannot really run fully at 10G speed. They will transfer between 5G to 6.5G max between the ports. This is because they internally use PCIe 2.0 chips that are not capable to go faster. But this is a minor problem and the gain is much less heat dissipation so that these switches can work "fanless". Just do not expect to see 1,1Gb/s between the SFP+ ports.

Those switches can run at 10G to 10G, but the main issue is 10G to multiple 2.5G ports.