SMB share not showing all files

@wishie, I think the implied question was "In all of the various displays over SMB have the exact same 59 files in them?"   I don't know quite how you could check all of the 6375 files that NFS has but you could probably verify that random selected sample of files are present in both the User Share and the Disk Share, and make sure that the 59 Files that show up under SMB are included in the NFS list. 

I also requested that you do this:

On 1/10/2024 at 7:25 AM, Frank1940 said:

@wishie, consider copying off all the files onto a Flash drive or a external HD (probably faster) using NFS and see if you have any problems with either the copy operation or file listing after that.   If you find nothing there then make a new share--- or a new directory in Music (like, BackMP3) ---and copy them back using SMB. 

I would recommend installing the Unassigned Devices plugin and format the external media to be a format that can be read by either your Windows PC or your MAC.  Plug it into the appropriate client and copy it back to Unraid using SMB. 

The purpose of this exercise is see if it will find some files with naming issues.  If either copy fails on a file.  Figure out a way to avoid trying copying it. 

Edited by Frank1940
Posted prematuerly

Ive managed to figure it out, and it is indeed special chars in filenames that was causing the issues.

Freestyle\ -\ �gon\ som\ Glittrarn\ 98.mp3
Me\'Shell\ Ndeg�Ocello\ -\ *
La\ Cream\ -\ Chate�u\ d\'Amour.mp3

and a few others.. but about 9 files in total caused the issue

• Upvote 1

For future referance for anyone else who might have this problem, how did you fix the problem?   Please describe in enough detail to allow that  person to do it the same way as you did.  (Example: Don't say "changed file name".  Rather say, used Linux command,  XX, from the command line using the Unraid's GUI terminal.)

EDIT: And mark your answer as the Solution.

Edited by Frank1940

When I had a similar problem with invalid characters, the files/folders would show up in Windows File Explorer, but the filename column would be blank, only other columns such as date and size would be displayed next to the blank filename.

I could see the files in MC and the invalid characters were obvious there.

• 2 weeks later...