(SOLVED) Logon From Console Not Working

Go to solution Solved by bithoarder,

I moved to new hardware, and it seems like it went okay, but I the console won't let me log on.  Hitting "enter" doesn't accept input - it just seems to place a carriage return, and I can keep typing.

I'm not able to connect remotely, or get a ping response from the machine.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

OodLogin.JPG

Edited by bithoarder
23 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can you boot on another system with your boot flash? 

I just tried... I get the same behavior. 

It appears to start up, but it's not connectable over the network, and the same thing happens where hitting "Enter" just starts a new line.

It was a long shot, but I deleted config/shadow and config/smbpasswd.  It's not the first time I've done that - I swear I got locked out of the root account incorrectly during the weekend.

I'm lucky, I guess, the array itself doesn't matter much at the moment, but I had a lot of effort into container setup.  If I need to start again, it seems like reason for very deep concern.

I'm hoping there's a solution that can at least save some of my work, if not recover the current install.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

DId that allow you to login?

No... it still didn't seem to recognize the "Enter" and process my input... it just translated to a line-feed still.

i set up another card, and with it, the machine boots up (and logs in) without trouble.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

You want to make sure you get a copy of the 'config' folder off the original drive as that contains all your settings.

I just tried this... the new drive now gives the same behavior, and I can't get it to accept the logon input.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, trurl said:

Try Manual Install on another flash drive and see if it will work after boot. Boot from a USB2 port.

I'm more than willing to try this, but could you help me understand what it'll do that creating the image automatically didn't (?)

I'm pretty sure that I'll have no trouble with the manual method, either.

BTW, I've noticed that the images which won't log on, don't shut down, either... they freeze on the "up to 90 seconds..." message, and never move on.

Edited by bithoarder
44 minutes ago, trurl said:

Don't know why it isn't working so trying to get a new install is a way to see if there is something wrong with the other install.

Didn't we do that when we created a new install automatically?  That one came up correctly on the same hardware.

I've done a little bit of experimenting, copying parts of config over, and seeing if it boots, but I haven't gotten very far - I'm being forced to do actual work today.

• Solution
8 hours ago, trurl said:

Edit config/docker.cfg and config/domain.cfg to disable Docker and VM Manager, that will be without dockers and VMs.

Then boot in SAFE mode. That will be without plugins.

Those didn't work, but your suggestion got me thinking... I deleted "ident.cfg", and now I'm in.

I'm guessing now that it would've been relevant to mention that I'd joined the server to a domain.

Thank you, and itimpi, for helping me work through that!

EDIT:

I think there may have been another part of this: I'm not sure if my network adapter was connecting.  It could have been the combination of AD settings and network problems.

Edited by bithoarder
  • bithoarder changed the title to (SOLVED) Logon From Console Not Working