Current flash drive recommendations?

I've been looking at the documentation and forum to see what the recommendations for flash drives are these days.  As best as I can see, the most recent recommendations are still:

• USB 2, not USB 3
  • At least 2GB but no more than 32GB
  • Favorite: Samsumg BAR Plus 32GB

These strike me as rather dated, and the 32GB BAR is basically unobtanium these days, unless you want used or to pay a heavy premium over larger sizes.  

Are there more current recommendations?

Thanks!

Edited by jhyler
  • 2 months later...
On 1/19/2024 at 6:12 PM, ConnerVT said:

You posted a link to a post I'm confident the OP knows about (who doesnt at this point), which points out the very recommendations they're saying are no longer available, from a test two years ago. How helpful 👏

FYI: the TOP THREE from that post for the US are NO LONGER AVAILABLE. Go ahead and click the links. 

Edited by EmersonSC
  • Upvote 1
On 1/19/2024 at 3:23 PM, jhyler said:

I've been looking at the documentation and forum to see what the recommendations for flash drives are these days.  As best as I can see, the most recent recommendations are still:

• USB 2, not USB 3
  • At least 2GB but no more than 32GB
  • Favorite: Samsumg BAR Plus 32GB

These strike me as rather dated, and the 32GB BAR is basically unobtanium these days, unless you want used or to pay a heavy premium over larger sizes.  

Are there more current recommendations?

Thanks!

What did you end up with? I'm still trying to find something that foots UNRaids bill, that isnt junk. I got a Samsung one that was close to their specs but its already dying and am desperate to find something reliable.

10 hours ago, EmersonSC said:
On 1/19/2024 at 6:12 PM, ConnerVT said:

You posted a link to a post I'm confident the OP knows about (who doesnt at this point), which points out the very recommendations they're saying are no longer available, from a test two years ago. How helpful 👏

If you read through the thread, you will see it is more about the current state of the USB Flash drive market.  There has been a large number of counterfiet flash drives flooding a number of the major Internet marketplaces, making it impossible to just say "Buy this brand and model...".

As I've recommended several times in that thread (and in countless others, all asking the same question) is to buy from a place that has a tightly controlled supply chain, and look at what may be considered 2nd-tier brands (such as Kingston, PNY, Transcend, etc.).

• 2 months later...

Issue with the Samsung thumb drives

Probably this isn't the right forum for this but I am currently using two of the Samsumg BAR Plus 32GB on two Unraid Server.
Both not older than a few months but since a few weeks I get an error on boot that prevent both system from booting up completely.

1.  Server is completley new. (Asrock Z690 Steel Legend + I5-13600K) - Unraid OS 6.12.10
2. HP Optiplex (older Desktop PC) - Unraid OS 6.12.10

Error something like this:

device offline error, dev sda1, sector XXXXXX
Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block XXXXX, async page read
mount: /boot: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.
cannot mount /dev/sda1 – Press ENTER to reboot

Only changing the USB Port resolves this issuw for this time. 
Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something? Or am I just unlucky with both Samsung thumbdrives?

Are there any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, howtobanana said:

Thanks for your reply, unfortunetely I dont really know what to do.
Should I download the Backup ZIP of the USB drive and than do what exactly?

I would suggest getting the download from here although the backup zip is probably fine as well.

You get the FSCK files as a result of corruption being detected and a repair attempted.    They can normally be deleted.    If you continue to get them it suggests a flash drive  problem.

1 hour ago, howtobanana said:

Ok, and than I only have to replace the bz* files?

Yes - those are the archives from which Unraid is unpacked into RAM during the boot process.

1 hour ago, howtobanana said:

Ok, so with the many FSCK files it really looks like the USB drive is broken?

So I guess I should definetely replace it?

At the price of flash drives and the problems and lost time that a margin/bad one can create, I would be figuratively running to the nearest electronics store for a replacement.  I would be looking for a name-brand full size USB2 flash drive between 8GB and 32GB.  Full size because they dissipate heat better and USB2 because they tend to run cooler.