All Data Disks Show "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout" After New Hardware

I replaced the motherboard, CPUs, HBA, and the backplane, but kept all of the drives. The drives were showing up as "Wrong disk" so I did a new config with Preserve current assignments: All.

When I bring the array up the cache drives are recognized fine, but the data drives show "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout". The all of the drives are encrypted using Unraid, all with the same passkey, and are unlocking successfully. Diagnostics attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Note, the NVMe drives can be ignored, they're new.

unraid01-diagnostics-20240121-1636.zip

The original card was a Adaptec 5405G. I swapped it into the new hardware and the drives came up, however I've run into a few new issues, one of which I know is self inflicted.

The parity drives are not being detected in the GUI. I haven't looked at the HBA to see if they show up in there, but I can probably figure out how to get them up.

On one of the data drives I ran a check without the -n flag when it was connected to the new controller. The data drive that the check was ran against is currently marked as "device to be encrypted" and "Unmountable: Volume not encrypted" when connected to the old controller. Any tips on fixing that non-destructively would be appreciated.

Latest diagnostics attached.

unraid01-diagnostics-20240121-1934.zip

It is quite normal when switching from a RAID controller to a different one for the drives to not be recognised when the two controllers do not present the drives identically to Unraid.   It is only when both old and new controllers are simple HBA's that it is painless.

I 'think' that it is possible to go through the rebuild process one drive at a time to fix this as long as if you remove a drive the 'emulated' drive shows the correct content, but not sure (particularly as you have encrypted drives).   However this is not going to work without the parity drives.  Some other user such as @JorgeB might be able to chime in on this.

If your parity is not  valid then I do not see much option other than to temporarily have the old controller present so that you can mount the drives and then copy their contents to another drive that is on the new controller (probably one drive at a time).

7 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That should not a problem as long as all disks were assigned.

The parity drives are visible in the controller, but for some reason they're showing as needing to be initialized which would erase them. I can try plugging them into a SATA port on the motherboard, or I could try to connect the parity drives to the new controller since I know they will come up on there. I'll post a status update if I'm able to kick off a rebuild on the data drive.

The title of this thread says "All data disks unmountable", but it appears all data disks are mounting, except for the missing/emulated disk. Was it also mounted when you had it assigned? Maybe I missed it in the discussion, but I didn't notice any mention that the drives had become mountable.

Don't know why it says "volume not encrypted" for the emulated disk. I don't use encryption.

33 minutes ago, m4rkl4r said:

however when I start he array it immediately starts to write to them

Not sure whether you meant it writes to parity, or it writes to data disks, but either way, that would imply there are mountable filesystems on the disks at that point.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

The title of this thread says "All data disks unmountable", but it appears all data disks are mounting, except for the missing/emulated disk. Was it also mounted when you had it assigned? Maybe I missed it in the discussion, but I didn't notice any mention that the drives had become mountable.

Don't know why it says "volume not encrypted" for the emulated disk. I don't use encryption.

Connecting the drives to the old controller resolved the "All data disks unmountable" issue.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not sure whether you meant it writes to parity, or it writes to data disks, but either way, that would imply there are mountable filesystems on the disks at that point.

Writing to parity.

36 minutes ago, trurl said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought everyone was trying to get your disks to work with the new controller.

Same, if it's still working with the old controller just backup the array (or disk by disk if it's easier) and then move to the new one.