Dead USB Key - how to restore to new key

Go to solution Solved by SliMat,

Hi All

I replaced my 10+yr old USB key as I didnt want it to fail... then 6 weeks later the new key is dead - when I plug it into a PC it says its corrupt and cant be repaired.

So, in connect I can see that there was a backup of the USB kay made in January, but there doesnt seem to be a "restore to new key" option anywhwere, also as I replaced the key a few weeks ago I believe I need support to allow the transfer.

Can anyone assist as at the moment both my UnRAID servers have failed catastrophically and I am struggling to get either back online :(

Thanks

Thanks @Frank1940 will have a look today - as I have transferred the licence a few weeks ago to the key which has now dies, I will have to get in touch with support to manually transfer the licence. I am going to try formatting the dead key in a Windows machine and restore the USB key backup to see if I can get it working again and then transfer it urgently to a new key.

• Solution

OK, a quick update... I downloaded the last Flash backup from UnRAID Connect (10th Jan), used the install tool to restore this to the original USB key and its all back up and running again. 

Obviously I am mindful that the USB key failed once, so will monitor things and see how it goes... BUT this highlights the importance of a recent flash backup if you want a chance of a quick fix when things go wrong ;-)

• Upvote 1

One thing to take note of, as you said "original" USB. If that was the USB key you transfered your license from,and not the one transfered to, be mindful of OS updates. In a future update that prior key will be blacklisted and the array won't start.

If you meant the USB key that you transfered to and recreating it worked that one won't have the blacklist issue.